Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Few questions  (Read 1404 times)

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Few questions
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:33:55 am »

I’ve been playing DF off and on for a few years, taught myself most of it, and taught the rest form the rare friend who played. But some things I can’t figure out, like for one; I’m trying to get more fuel.  I always seem to run out and if I burn wood then I run out of that to.
Then there is the matter of migrants, I only get one or two waves always, never more. Is this a glitch or is my civ dying every time?  (Read: is it a known thing to happen by a glitch or am I just unlucky)

Last but not least, military, I feel like I’m out side of a joke here, is it just me or is it harder then most things in DF easily?
First thing I do is set them to Squads, and set up a barracks, then set their times to train with only  3-5 of  them needed to train, depends on how many are in said squad.
All they ever seem to do is train them self’s and not get anywhere, do training weapons work for training or is that my problem?  Next part of them is using them as hunters. I find the way they hunt impossible to catch anything that does not want to be caught. Basically, if it runs it gets away, however with hunters they CAN catch things but I find they tend to unlike said military hunt something bigger then them, you can’t turn them off, bad thoughts, and many more problems (and that’s if they even attempt to hunt!)

Which one is better?

Wolfie.
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Few questions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:37:40 am »

I’ve been playing DF off and on for a few years, taught myself most of it, and taught the rest form the rare friend who played. But some things I can’t figure out, like for one; I’m trying to get more fuel.  I always seem to run out and if I burn wood then I run out of that to.
MAGMA
Then there is the matter of migrants, I only get one or two waves always, never more. Is this a glitch or is my civ dying every time?  (Read: is it a known thing to happen by a glitch or am I just unlucky)
Check your pop cap. You'll always get 2 waves as they're hardcoded. If they're stopping then it's probably an errant pop cap. I don't believe your civ can die during an embark...world history is frozen at that time.
Last but not least, military, I feel like I’m out side of a joke here, is it just me or is it harder then most things in DF easily?
First thing I do is set them to Squads, and set up a barracks, then set their times to train with only  3-5 of  them needed to train, depends on how many are in said squad.
Easiest/simplest way is squads of 2 so they'll spar as much as possible. Sparring is good.
Next part of them is using them as hunters. I find the way they hunt impossible to catch anything that does not want to be caught. Basically, if it runs it gets away, however with hunters they CAN catch things but I find they tend to unlike said military hunt something bigger then them, you can’t turn them off, bad thoughts, and many more problems (and that’s if they even attempt to hunt!)
Biggest problem I have with hunters is they run out of ammo before killing the prey. If your hunters are having trouble catching anything I'd guess it's simply because they're low skilled. Give them time, they'll get faster, more accurate etc, and start bringing in the meat.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 08:44:07 am »

Wait, wait, wait magma? I can use that, how dose that work?  :o
I'll do sqauds of two to see how it works out for me.
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:46:09 am »

Magma forges/smelters! They don't need fuel. Except the steel reaction which uses some extra fuel anyway.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:48:24 am »

I was not aware of this at all, I thought magma was just made to kill dwarves and ruin fortress.

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:54:51 am »

The wiki is brilliant for most bits of info (apart from the very new features that just got added, give those time).
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:57:02 am »

I was not aware of this at all, I thought magma was just made to kill dwarves and ruin fortress.
Most of the game features are. That should never stop you from exploiting them.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:43:53 am »

Make sure you activate your squad in the alerts menu in your military screen.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 09:53:46 am »

And you don't want two-dwarf squads. You want the minimum number needed for training to be 2 in your training schedule, which increases the chances of sparring (as opposed to teaching sessions).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 11:00:21 am »

Wait, wait, wait magma? I can use that, how dose that work?  :o
I'll do sqauds of two to see how it works out for me.

it works quite well.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 03:58:52 pm »

Check your pop cap. You'll always get 2 waves as they're hardcoded. If they're stopping then it's probably an errant pop cap. I don't believe your civ can die during an embark...world history is frozen at that time.
It's possible to draw so many migrants from your native civ that you run it into extinction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 04:57:37 pm »

Or that you embarked from a civ that was about to die and you're now the last survivors of a once great civilization
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 08:46:49 pm »

I'm not sure how great it was when most of those games where five years in to it: P

I’ve been told that you can go to your old fortress in adventure mode, and whatever was in the fort is there, can that be used the other way to help me out if i reclaim one?
in other words can my guy leave stuff for my dwarfs?