Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Framerate question  (Read 942 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Framerate question
« on: February 28, 2012, 05:28:57 am »

Quickie, here.

I had mined out 4 z layers (using up ramps, so I only had two walkable floors). Decided the extra empty z layer of walkable ground might be hurting my FPS.

Prior to collapsing it: ~140 FPS.
After: ~90 FPS.

Years later, my FPS never returned to its old glory.

Any idea why?

Things that happened:
- One less z layer of pathable ground
- Ton of rocks strewn about, though none destroyed if the stocks screen is to be believed.
- Amusingly, I have down ramps connected to the ceiling now. Stalactites, cool.
- VERY long time at ~.5 FPS waiting for all the dust to disperse, right after collapsing it.
- A ton of rock dust made, covering the floor and all the mined out rocks. Removing it with DFHack did nothing for my FPS.
- A small portion of the ground was sand, not rock. After collapsing, it was covered with grass. (?)
- As a last ditch effort, I deleted the main layer's rocks with DFHack. Again, no boost to FPS.
- Dunno how of note it is, but it's a 2x2 embark (was trying for a super FPS fort).

Unfortunately I didn't enable backups on this fort so I can't do any science relating to continuing the fort with and without that z layer. I just know I lost a third of my FPS for it never to return after collapsing a huge amount of floors, and am wondering why so I can avoid the problem in the future.

Current theory: The contaminants are causing the FPS drop and DFHack only removed their visibility. Another possibility is my floating down ramps stalactites messing up the pathing engine in weird ways somehow, since I've never seen that happen before.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Framerate question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 06:55:39 am »

What happens when you wall off that room, or have the dwarves dump the rock into some water to clean it?
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:08:15 am »

According to the second law of df thermodynamics, the fps of any isolated system, such as any fortress, never increases. If the fps of the fort reaches minimum the game has no free processor cycles to sustain motion or life, that is, the fps death is reached.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:48:28 am »

A giant amount of items like stone will drop FPS.

It's best to atom smash them if you're going to have thousands extra.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:00:11 am »

What happens when you wall off that room,
No noticeable change.
or have the dwarves dump the rock into some water to clean it?
90% of the rocks are gone, and I can't really tell if they're cleaned or not since I removed the contaminants with DFhack. They're probably clean right now; my theory of them just having the contaminant display removed by DFhack is a shot in the dark.

A giant amount of items like stone will drop FPS.

It's best to atom smash them if you're going to have thousands extra.
They're almost entirely gone. ~28000 stones when I collapsed the room, down to ~8000 across the entire map now.

And besides, I had 140 FPS with those 28000 stones existing. The FPS drop didn't happen until I collapsed an entire z-level. No new items were created when doing this, as far as I know.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:59:09 am »

It's gotta be some type of pathing error then.

Something's trying to path through the non existent layer.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:47:58 pm »

Maybe try collapsing the roof to see if its causing the issue?

Temperature calculations are another major source of FPS loss.  Could you have put in a magma pump stack recently, a magma waterfall, or something of that sort?  Its simple enough to check, just turn temperature off by [TEMPERATURE:NO] in init.txt in your save folder, restart the game and see if the FPS jumps. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.