Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elephant Attack  (Read 1160 times)

vallannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elephant Attack
« on: April 29, 2008, 03:37:00 am »

From Reuters:
Two children were trampled to death and a man maimed as straying wild elephants destroyed two villages over the last 24 hours in southeastern Bangladesh, officials said on Monday.

A girl was killed and six bamboo houses flattened as elephants ravaged a village near Cox's Bazar district town, 400 km (250 miles) from the capital Dhaka on Monday.

A boy was killed and a man seriously injured when wild elephants strayed into another village in the same district on Sunday. Five houses were levelled by the rampaging elephants.

In both the attacks, the villagers fled their homes but later returned with drums and firecrackers to scare off the herds of wild elephants.

Attacks by elephant have become frequent in Bangladesh in recent years, as their forest habitats shrink due to encroachment by people, forest officials say.

On average, nearly 20 people are killed by elephants in Bangladesh each year.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Elephant Attack
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 03:38:00 am »

Why not link to the article itself too?

vallannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 03:50:00 am »

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 11:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by vallannion:
<STRONG>On average, nearly 20 people are killed by elephants in Bangladesh each year.</STRONG>

That's nuffin. I lose twice that many dwarves a season to elephants. In my day, elephants were twice as big. And we didn't have none of this namby-pamby crossbow nonsense either. We had to bite them to death. If we were lucky.

<cue>

[ April 29, 2008: Message edited by: Rictus ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »

Hah!  You were lucky!  We didn't have teeth!  We had to gum the beasties to death, and with only the four of us it took a while, and if we didn't kill at least fifty-two elephants every day our parents would cut us up into little pieces and dance around on our graves.

And ye tell that to the kids these days, and they don't believe you...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

Gums?! You were lucky! Back in my day, we didn't even have gums. We had to break off our fingers with our fingernails and throw them at the monsters, and if we didn't down at least a hundred and ninety-five skeletal elephants every hour, our dear dad would beat us to death with the pet dog and crush our bodies with a coffee grinder.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »

Fingers?  Back in my day, we didn't have fingers, we had to walk FIFTEEN miles to the elephant grounds, in the snow and rain and scorching heat and otherworldly madness and tornadoes and hurricanes and xenomorphs and predators and SIX FEET OF LEECHES.  When we got their we had to THINK them to death, and if we didn't kill ALL of the elephants, every day, our dad would skin us alive, coat the skin in lemon juice, put it back on, rub us with cheese graters, whip us with salted whips, pour alcohol in our eyes, shred us and feed us to the rest of us.

Kids these days.

Shoes...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 08:32:00 pm »

Thoughts? Hah! back in MY day we didn't even have thoughts! We had to crawl using our disembowelled guts 15 LIGHTYEARS through supernovas and carp and WAIT until not only the elephants, but ALL LIFE IN THE GALAXY died of old age, three times a day, and if we were even late our dads would slowly submerge us in a jar of boiling acid and lampreys, and disallow our corpses death so we were punished for eternity!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...