Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the best way to setup traps?  (Read 971 times)

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
What's the best way to setup traps?
« on: May 16, 2008, 12:26:00 am »

I prefer to have one entrance with a drawbridge, but I only put traps inside to stop invaders when they get inside. But goblins usually, after a few years, keep killing the caravans and they have no chance.

So what's the best way to setup traps?

Also, will my traps kill caravans?

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: Emperor_Jonathan ]

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best way to setup traps?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 12:38:00 am »

Traps don't affect traders. For the most part, you just want to be certain that your traps are where enemies will walk into them. Inside or outside your fort, it doesn't matter all that much, though it's not a great idea to let archers get within line of sight of your civilians before running into them.

The problem with using traps to protect caravans is that there's entirely too much space out there to plausibly trap it all. A large-scale civil engineering project to force outside traffic into a tight area can work - dig a ring of channels 5 squares or so from the edge of the map, in a giant circle, with only one entry point. Thus all units that appear on the map (including traders and ambushers)  will have to pass through a chokepoint to get to your fortress - put your traps there. Of course, you'll have fun protecting your miners while they dig out the channels. You could also build walls, which have the advantage of blocking line of sight, but they take far longer to create.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 02:19:00 am »

i made it with walls on a small map (2x2 on emvbarque) but i will suggest to make more then one entrance becouse caravan shoving up on the other side will have trubbels to come to the entrance (like ambushes) maybe it can be solved withe markdwarfs on the walls with  a fortification to watch on roads, and the other problemme is that if you have trees growing on the sides you should concider to make roads with is a real big projecte too.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Onul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 03:50:00 am »

If all else fails, mine out 90% of a rocky z-level.

Drop down one and do the same thing again.

Assign all of your dwarfs the Mechanic skill. Open up like five more Mechanics workshops.

Spam traps over 90% of the map.

This may take several months.