Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Streamlined (Still in Planning Stages)  (Read 990 times)

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Streamlined (Still in Planning Stages)
« on: February 22, 2012, 12:58:54 pm »

DF Streamlined is a planned mod to make all 5 of the vanilla races (Dwarf, Goblin, Elf, Human & Kobold) into playable entities in both Adventure Mode and Fortress mode and to have significant differences in the playstyles between the species. The mod is called Streamlined, because even though there are more playable entities, each entity has certain redundant aspects reduced or eliminated in order to increase the differences between them.

Dwarves : While they remain largely unchanged from Vanilla dwarves, the variety in their clothing and weapons has been reduced down. Wooden training weapons have also been eliminated from the dwarven armory, so Danger Rooms are now a thing of the past.

Elves : The biggest difference between Elves and Dwarves is that the Elves are completely unable to Mine or shape stone or metal and have no digging implement  whatsoever. All of their Weapons and Armor are made from wood, bone or leather, but certain custom workshops will allow them to transform them into superior tools. They can embark with exotic pets.

Kobolds : A small, neurotic race of theives, life as a kobold is hard mode. They lack the tools to cut down trees, but do mine into the earth. They are too primitive to understand smelting, but are able to make weapons and armor from nuggets of raw native metal (gold, silver, copper & meteor iron). They have no domestic animals, can't grow crops and are carnivorous. While stone-age in almost every way, they do have the ability to make traps but not to tame the animals they catch.

Goblins : An ugly and brutal civilization, they are as advanced in almost every way as the dwarves, except that almost every other civilization hates them so they should get attacked far more often.

Humans : Possibly the easiest civilization to play, they have superior weapons to the dwarves, but inferior armor. They also lack the dwarves knowledge of advanced mechanics and so traps and complex structures are beyond them at this time.

I haven't done any extensive modding since 40d, but I'm reading up on the modding tutorials and will try to see about getting some tangible results ready soon. If anyone has any ideas or would like to help with this project I'd be grateful for it. I'll upload the finished version once its complete.

Version .01 Released here:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5717

Feedback, greatly appreciated if anyone tries it out!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:01:45 pm by bobsnewaddress »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: DF Streamlined (Still in Planning Stages)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 01:06:29 pm »

Good luck :) Hope you will have fun with this project
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 01:52:07 pm »

Good luck :) Hope you will have fun with this project

Thanks Meph, appreciate it :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:13:34 pm »

Btw: To remove mining you just have to remove the mining labor and pick from the entity file. But if you want only soil digable (for example Kobolds with shovels) and all stone undiggable, this is a lot more difficult.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 02:59:22 pm »

Btw: To remove mining you just have to remove the mining labor and pick from the entity file. But if you want only soil digable (for example Kobolds with shovels) and all stone undiggable, this is a lot more difficult.

Kobolds are going to be able to mine stone in this mod, so I don't have to worry about making stone undiggable. They just will lack most advanced metalcrafting and can generally only make tools from nuggets of pure metal they mine out.

I'm going to be creating several types of wood that Elves use exclusively and I'm not quite sure how to go about it. So far I'm thinking a reaction to transmute wood logs of any type, combined with a product harvested from certain aboveground plants (Resin), into logs of Laminated Wood. Laminated Wood can be made into weapons, but not armor and can also be used in any wood reaction. Would I just have to make a Material entry for Laminated Wood and apply the [Wood] tag to it, but also make sure that no tree drops it when cut down?

On a similar note, I was thinking of creating a kind of armor made from Leather, Wood and Plant Fiber Cloth which would have unique properties all of its own. If I were to make the material for the armor, how would I make sure that no other items are made from it or that Nobles don't mandate goods made from it?

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 03:38:33 pm »

Alpha build is ready, with most of the changes I planned to implement in place so far.

As of testing Kobolds, Goblins, Elves & Humans are all playable races alongside dwarves, with varying levels of permitted jobs, weapons, clothing, armor and nobles.

Note that if you are playing Kobolds or Goblins to go in and remove the [NO_EAT] & [NO_DRINK] tokens from the creature_standard.txt after you generate the world.

I'm still having slight trouble trying to remove come jobs since they are lumped together into groups, and if at least one group of jobs contains a job permitted to the entity then ALL jobs in that list become available for tagging. Its annoying since it destroys the flavor a bit, but its not the end of the world.