Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A problem with vampires  (Read 4855 times)

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
Re: A problem with vampires
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 05:40:41 pm »

Honestly, I don't know about the limits on removing tags with that tag. I only know people in modding forum have said it will give errors with some things like CAN_SPEAK and INTELLIGENT and works with others like LIKES_FIGHTING apparently. If such basic tags may not be removed, I wouldn't count on alcohol dependency being removable.

Anyway, from the Wiki, the old fix to the problem was to remove alcohol dependency from dwarves altogether. This may be pretty unsatisfying, though. Now, I've never tried it but you can actually decode world.dat. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Quietust has tools based on it. So I'd assume if you did that, and changed it, your future vampires infected with the same numbered curse (based on decoded interactions I did while investigating werecreature properties in another thread) might not get the NO_DRINK tag. Might.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To illustrate why I keep talking of vampire syndromes, here's an actual interaction from a world of 1000 vampire curses decoded from world.dat with one of those PHP scripts:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:46:34 pm by Hotaru »
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 06:09:49 pm »

Oh I see, most of the vampire curses are generated randomly and hard-coded. The one in the raws is only one example, and the only one that can be edited. I was thinking that when you increased the number of curses, the game looked at that one interaction and did something with the information in it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 11:00:36 pm »

My guess is that all dwarves will acquire this trait anyway by having alcohol dependency, and even removing the tag won't remove the trait.  Completely conjecture of course.

If that is true, then DF2012 introduces alcohol addiction :P

I can confirm this is not the case for DF2010
you'd have to gen a new world to have any effect from removing the dependent tag.

i can confirm in df2010, goblins as a whole are not alcohol dependent, but individual goblins are.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 07:10:22 pm »

you'd have to gen a new world to have any effect from removing the dependent tag.
Tested with humans who do not have alcohol dependency.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 04:37:09 am »

Bought some cow blood and animal man blood from the caravans. As I suspected, no cigar. Vampire no likey old, non-dwarven blood from a barrel.

I wonder, if I give him a child, if he will report the corpse as dead, and bury it inside it's walled off lair.
I'm picturing a child chained to the floor in the middle of an otherwise empty room, with a flood gate on one side, and a walled off hallway on the other.  A lever in the hallway is pulled, the floodgate opens, and Urist McBloodSucker walks into the chamber ...
Urist doesn't want to be fed, he wants to hunt.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:54 pm »

maybe selecting a high strength or high endurance dwarf so the vampire feeds but doesn't kill?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 02:40:00 pm »

Bought some cow blood and animal man blood from the caravans. As I suspected, no cigar. Vampire no likey old, non-dwarven blood from a barrel.

I wonder, if I give him a child, if he will report the corpse as dead, and bury it inside it's walled off lair.
I'm picturing a child chained to the floor in the middle of an otherwise empty room, with a flood gate on one side, and a walled off hallway on the other.  A lever in the hallway is pulled, the floodgate opens, and Urist McBloodSucker walks into the chamber ...
Urist doesn't want to be fed, he wants to hunt.

So we let him play "the most dangerous game" instead!

Workaround for alcohol and feeding problems:
Make a beastman servitor race become alcohol dependant in the raws, and make them vamp and werewolf immune, and release a contact toxin that causes sleeping that they are *not* immune to.  Drop booze and the vampire into a sealed isolation ward filled with them. Urist McVampire needs a farm plot, a brewery, and whatever else you decide to give him. He grows food, turns it into booze, which the penned in beastmen promptly steal (and ideally consume.) They see urist mcvampire, and spew the sleepy contaminant everywhere. Urist mcvampire never sleeps. If he does fall unconcious, it won't be for long. The other were creatures however, not so much. They fall asleep, are full of booze, and have the sentient tag.  Vampire eats them, and feels extraspecialawesome.

Science is needed.

Alternative random idea: creature venom causes thirst. See if alcohol dependant dwarf vampire drinks booze.... bees would be ideal if not for the "needs path to outside" issue.... can bees go through a fortification?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:50:38 pm by wierd »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 03:08:32 pm »

That solution assumes that the game tracks the BAC of individual creatures.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]