Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too many dwarves!  (Read 1096 times)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Too many dwarves!
« on: May 15, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »

I've got way too many dwarves, turns out I can't farm on my map except for one little  patch with a cougar hidden off on the side which I can't get to yet. My first immigration wave turned out 21 dwarves, and now I've got no hope of feeding them all. So, any suggestions? Should I do sort of a "Cleansing" of my fortress by killing off the useless ones? Or is there a better way?
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Re: Too many dwarves!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

Of course there is!

Starving them into insanity and staging deathmatches is so much more fun.

Wait... YOu want food so you aim to actually keep dwarves alive... Try flood farming. Muddying up stone will make it farmable. But meantime, the starvation should be fun.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

A simple but labor intensive way to muddy stuff up is to designate a huge area as a pond, and let your dwarves use buckets to dump water on it. Un-designate every tile that already has water on it.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »

the best way to avoid this situation is to prepare in advance, otherwise consider massive farming.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

I actually have an arena pre-made in this fort  :D

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>A simple but labor intensive way to muddy stuff up is to designate a huge area as a pond, and let your dwarves use buckets to dump water on it. Un-designate every tile that already has water on it.</STRONG>

Actually, there is no water except that one area mentioned above...

I did prepare, just not for an extra 21 dwarves lol

Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

I'm assuming herbs or fish are completely impossible, so all I can suggest is recruiting the migrants and send them after the cougar. Any deaths just mean one less mouth to feed and hey, cougar tallow biscuits are damn tasty. After that start farming that spot ASAP, butcher any other animals you might have, and hope you can hold out till the caravan arrives...

edit: If you're going to abandon anyway and want to have some fun, I've never actually tested it out but I'm pretty sure there's an easy way to make dwarves butcherable...

[ May 15, 2008: Message edited by: Solara ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »

Yeah, use dwarf companion.

And if you have wood or metal, you can make animal traps.  Make a few traps and set a dwarf or two to the job of capturing all the wee beasties that crawl around (vermin).  A captured vermin creature counts as food, and dwarves do not get any bad thoughts from consuming them.  They find the ones you were planning to tame especially tasty.

And if you've got cats cleaning out your vermin supply, there's your answer right there.  Butcher the cats.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

Okay, thanks for that. I just got the area with the water and started fishing and some farming there, so things should be good. Though I still plan on "cleansing" my fort.