Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Ideas] Other secrets of immortality  (Read 1723 times)

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Ideas] Other secrets of immortality
« on: February 25, 2012, 07:34:59 pm »

Just did some brainstorming on other ways you could use immortality. These come from a mix of inspirational games/movies, and my own dark thoughts. [EVIL] should be so, and such I try to think of all the things that we consider Socially and Morally abhorrent. Of course, these ideas are made "safe for womens" before posting here. Those that wish to can follow the ideas to their obvious dark conclusions by themselves.

I'm working on the 40k Necromunda mod so wont have time to actually mod any of these ideas. Feel free to use them for your own mods.

Immortalized in Stone. The necromancer becomes made of a very strong stone. He seeks out creatures, alive and dead to remake into stone warriors. Themes include Aztec magic, raw earth elemental, technomagical mechanisms of stone, power crystals.

Energy transmogrification. The necromancer becomes as pure energy but still craves contact with the phyisical realm. He possesses creatures and corpses directly, turning them into husks and filling them with his essence.

Blood tide. The necromancer unleashes a pox upon the world. His invasions include vermin which spread a long lasting and contagious virus that weakens all creatures it infects. Protecting your fort from infection through quarantine is a possibility since the pox moves so slowly. Other attackers have the ability to control infected dwarves, or detonate them spontaneously in a cloud of miasma.

Clad in technology. The necromancer becomes obsessed with modifying the body for advanced purposes. Aethetics for all purposes are created and grafted onto cultists to create abominations of technology and flesh. Some of these are for mundane tasks, others for war. The Necromancer himself becomes clad in a thick armor plate with built in weapons.

Melding of the Flesh. This secret sees the necromancer shaping the very flesh itself as putty. Constructs are made from living specimen, not corpses, perhaps even with great beauty. That said his armies are powerful but non-contageous. The necromancer can modify his own appearance at will, becoming huge or tiny.

Control the feeble mind. This type of necromancer rules through controlling the thoughts of living creatures. His slave armies do his bidding without concern for their own safety. He enjoys a large harem in his tower, free labour in his workshops and a large standing army. Lower class, weak or injured slaves are made into food for the more useful castes. Those who stand before him are either slain and eaten, or survive to be enslaved themselves.

The Surgeon. Frankensteins creator. The Graverobber. This variety of necromancer digs up or steals parts to create huge abominations through surgical and technomagical means. He is a frail, clever necromancer who never fights directly.

The death mother/geneticist. A necromancer who fills his tower with great pulsating wombs which frequently birth litters of loyal creatures. The weak are killed while the strong are force-bred with each other to produce enhanced seed for the wombs. The necromancer is the master of evolution, building greater and greater creatures with every generation. Waiting is not an option against this evil.

Celestial dreams of perfection. Immortality through ritual and prayer. This necromancer dreams of a utopian world of immortality where nobody is hungry or want for anything. His means however are far darker. Somebody has to do the dirty work in his utopian society and it certainly wont be him or his closest cultists. His warriors are straight, glorious and deadly. His empire is enlightened and intellecualism is promoted, giving all in it access to high technology methods. All that is except the lower castes...

The Tyrants gift. Ruling through brute force, the tyrant is himself immortal and has the ability to resurrect his minions once they die. This bestowed immortality is only fleeting tho, and once you have succumbed you must remain loyal else your body start to decay. The will to survive in humans is a strong one, and many have chosen a life of blackmail over death. His workforce is whipped until they are on the edge of death, then offered this Dark Choice.

Entombed in the earth. This necromancer extends his life through entering statis or torpor underground, only rising to give a command or lead an important battle. His enhanced minions can dig swiftly and have enhanced night vision. When outnumbered they will retreat into the earth (retract into shell) and wait for reinforcements to arrive.

Back to rule, againThe necromancer himself is possessed by the spirit of an ancient necromancer. He brings forth spirits of great skill to re-inhabit the bodies of his cultists, improving their prowess many times over. Weaker spirits may be tempted to inhabit trolls, ogres or even the lowly badger, as they are all desperate to feel the touch of the material plane once again.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:05:18 am by Abregado »

RysanMarquise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Ideas] Other secrets of immortality
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:10:35 pm »

Has anyone gotten secrets to properly propagate in world gen yet?

Does anyone know the traits required to make them more likely to be transferred or written?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:12:30 pm »

Has anyone gotten secrets to properly propagate in world gen yet?

Does anyone know the traits required to make them more likely to be transferred or written?
[IS_SPHERE:X]
[IS_SECRET_GOAL:IMMORTALITY]
and the research and learning tags are required. If you want them to propagate, throw in the teaching tags as well.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

RysanMarquise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 08:20:28 pm »

Will they build towers if the secret technically includes animation?

What determines their frequency? Is a man driven to immortality going to choose the one closest to his sphere, or will it be more likely that one will be driven to find immortality if there are many options?

The necromancer population is already rather low in many worlds, to have secret-seekers fighting over it might be a problem.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 09:19:31 pm »

Some pretty neat ideas, and I really like that you're giving them freely due having a current project (that I wait for with bated breath).

If I was any good at modding, I'd be all over using the "Blood Tide" and "Clad in Technology" ideas. In fact, you may have just pushed me over the tipping point to learning how to mod DF. Huzzah!

I have only one issue I noticed in your OP. Under "The Surgeon" it should just say Frankenstein, since he was the doctor who created the monster. I know, I know. I'm being nit-picky, but I figure the more everyone knows, the quicker we can all get to space. And isn't that something we all want?

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 04:07:08 am »

Thanks for the comments guys. Work on my own mod progresses well. Once I get the last problem sorted with seigers we are good to upload.

I've added a new secret to the OP. I'll keep posting them as I think of them. 5 Dwarfbucks for anyone who can come up with another to add to the list.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 06:17:23 pm »

I tried adding a cursed book that had a syndrome that turned the reader into a Giant Sponge. (Can't move, breaths water.)
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?