Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digging up  (Read 1269 times)

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Digging up
« on: November 09, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »

This has stumped me for quite a while now.  I have no trouble digging or building downwards, but building upwards just doesn't seem to work.  I build up ramps from one level next to a cliff and then try to dig into that cliff face.  That doesn't seem to work, however, as my miner's act like they can't reach the dig site.  I've also tried building floors next to constructed up ramps and have thus-far been unsuccessful.  Is there some trick to this?

Edit:  Oh never mind, I just found out that I could successfully build stairs and that works just how I want it to.

[ November 09, 2007: Message edited by: Yourself ]

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Digging up
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 02:22:00 pm »

Miners do seem very reluctant to walk up a ramp to dig the wall right next to it, for some reason. Has this bug already been reported?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 04:08:00 pm »

when dugging upward ramps, always dig out the spot directly above the ramp on the level above.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »

yeah, i think ramps may need a clear space above them.  not sure on that, though.  I've not had any trouble digging "up" or "up/down" staircases in an upward direction.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »

I haven't tried to build a ramp yet in the new version. Just stairs. Are ramps superior in any way?

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Thallone:
<STRONG>when dugging upward ramps, always dig out the spot directly above the ramp on the level above.</STRONG>
That's usually done automatically though.
quote:
Originally posted by Name Lips:
<STRONG>I haven't tried to build a ramp yet in the new version. Just stairs. Are ramps superior in any way?</STRONG>
Well, wagons cant go up stairs, and I've heard that dwarves prefer ramps when they're hauling something.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »

I'm a bit late to the party, but gotta ask: are you uilding [C]onstructions to get the ramps and stairs, or [d]esignating them? When inside the mountain, it's probably best to go with the designations.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside