Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven apathy. What to do with my 40 useless dwarves?  (Read 4232 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven apathy. What to do with my 40 useless dwarves?
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 02:40:53 pm »

Is there a large body of water near by?

Fishing...

He said there's no fish ;)

I'd forge 40 picks, myself, and designated a ridiculously huge mining project. Sculpt your own caverns. Build a volcano pumping from the magma sea. Carve a dodge trap in your entrance, dropping them into the magma sea. Make a second, self sustaining fort as an experiment. Lock them all in with a vampire. Train a military and breach the circus. Make a 40 story glass statue of yourself with magma flowing out the eyes, lowering the ground level of your embark as far as needed to have the necessary sky available. Turn the entire embark into a magma piston over the magma sea linked to a self destruct lever. Pull it anyway and live in the walls surrounding the pit, and the spires you had to cut over the adamantium pillars so the rest would drop. I can do this all day :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 03:00:40 pm »

A small contribution to the overall problem, but I generally have a few "nurses" burrowed in the hospital and some ajoining suites, set to only give food/water and retrieve wounded. It doesn't seem like much, but when you have all 20 hospital beds filled you'll be glad you have a 5-1 ratio of wounded to designated caretaker rather than 20-1 of wounded to doctor who's already busy.

I have a hauler profession in therapist that's set to masonry and hauling. All masons workshops are set to have the minimum skill as adequate or higher, thus the haulers are my labor force for building. I swear the goblins camped on the outskirts of the fortress have, on many occasions, awoken to find that the fortress had grown a new sniper tower, skyscraper, or had simply crept out toward them with a new color wall.

Another activity is having them make their own picks then using them for carving out a well defended path down to the caverns. I always have different checkpoints for each cavern carved many tiles wide and 2 z-levels high so that I can build fortifications for marksdwarves up top. I take my Forgotten Beasts seriously. Points if you carve a single, precarious bridge over a wide open area and have a fire-based FB and a necromancer duke it out on it. Of course the only logical ending is for the bridge to crumble and both of them to fall.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 03:44:19 pm »

I demand at least 70 soldiers or so for my fortress. Any fewer and my fortress feels completely helpless. These are full time soldiers with full steel armor.

I also need at minimum 100 haulers. Minimum. 200 haulers is ideal. Then I'll have around 50-75 producers who make stuff that the haulers will haul around.

Can't build massive monuments without a lot of labor!  :P

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 04:09:20 pm »

You only have two miners?  I use waaaaaaaaaay more than that.  After which you'll need those haulers for all the stone & ore.

I usually have tons of miners, masons & furnace operators mining ore, expanding the fortress, building things, making furniture and smelting all that metal, so much so that the haulers can't keep up.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
Pages: 1 [2]