Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How the hell do I avoid starving to death?  (Read 2556 times)

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How the hell do I avoid starving to death?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 12:09:17 pm »

I find one of the plant bag stacks at the beginning and grab the one with the most food in it to eat, and empty another and fill it at a river.

I've never, ever had to worry about dying of thirst/starvation.

Note: I grab the bag the food is in so I can put it in my backpack, instead of the food itself. Weird, I know, but it works.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 01:15:09 pm »

some animals are too small to butcher

sharp weapons include swords, daggers, axes, spears possibly and sharp stones

I had a character who could butcher with a blunt weapon. I think it was a morningstar... I guess if the point of a spear works, the little spikes on the morningstar work as well...

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 01:18:49 pm »

A morningstar is an edged weapon, with very tiny edges.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Cairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 02:28:31 pm »

Well, I just started playing this game, and I started out as an Outsider, and I started next to a hamlet that happened to have a well and one of the buildings had a bag filled with smaller bags that were full of berries. And for some reason, none of them cared that I took a bag of berries. I've been eating them whenever I see hunger appear on the lower part of the screen.

Since then, in other hamlets, and I've seen these bags as well, and none of the smaller bags filled with berries have $, so maybe it's not stealing for the player to take those things. I've only taken from that first hamlet that I started next too, so I can't guarantee anything about other hamlets, but it's worth a try if you're on the verge of starving.

I'd only recommend attacking an animal if you have help and the animal is alone because other animals will gang up on you while you're attempting to kill your dinner. That happened to me once, thus the reason I decided to chance taking a bag of berries. 

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 02:40:36 pm »

Well, I just started playing this game, and I started out as an Outsider, and I started next to a hamlet that happened to have a well and one of the buildings had a bag filled with smaller bags that were full of berries. And for some reason, none of them cared that I took a bag of berries. I've been eating them whenever I see hunger appear on the lower part of the screen.

Since then, in other hamlets, and I've seen these bags as well, and none of the smaller bags filled with berries have $, so maybe it's not stealing for the player to take those things. I've only taken from that first hamlet that I started next too, so I can't guarantee anything about other hamlets, but it's worth a try if you're on the verge of starving.

as written in numerous earlier posts (well, at least two) they're in nearly every living house and they are free
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 06:20:50 am »

Find animals. Fight them. Stand on their corpse with a sharp weapon in your hand and press x, selecting the corpse for butchering. Pick up meat, tripe, organs, etc and devour messily.
Alternatively, you can look around villages in houses for sacks full of plants free for the taking. Sometimes you get really lucky and find bags of 100 rat weed or whatever.

Sneak first, animals'll usually just flee from you. Unless they're wolves or tasty, tasty Giant Eagles.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 07:43:54 am »

definately true, and even a proficient ambusher will be able to sneak up very, very close, especially in an area where you can hide behind trees. Remember to get a point or two in swimming, slide into a pond and sneak if you constantly get the message that you can't sneak because someone can see you. Companions make hunting more difficult. The better you get at sneaking (and swimming) the faster you'll go, untill you go as fast as you'd normally do. At that point, bandits seem a bit stupid. Losing limbs and heads is treated as a curiosity, not as proof of an enemy in the camp
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 [2]