Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Diplomat went berserk and got slaughtered  (Read 1385 times)

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diplomat went berserk and got slaughtered
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:39:00 am »

Hey everyone

My fortress was sieged by a whole lot of goblins so i got scared (my soldiers suck) and shut the doors of the fortress.

Problem is : i forgot there still was the damn dwarven diplomat inside and since he couldnt leave for too long, he went berserk and was soon butchered by a bunch of war dogs. I received the message "A diplomat has left unhappy" even though he didnt actually leave, he's just rotting in the refuse stockpile.

Is this something i should be worried about?

I could load one of the latest autosaves, but in the meantime, i was lucky enough to have a weaponsmith go fey and become legendary, so i'd rather not do a rollback unless i really have to.

Thanks for help

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomat went berserk and got slaughtered
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:46:00 am »

Well, there's really only one problem with that.  They never provide another one.

So, if you can live without having another dwarven diplomat (actually, it may only be the trade liason that doesn't come back, I'm not sure) then there's nothing to worry about.  A fun thing about dwarves is that they will never attack you, no matter what atrocities you commit.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 08:48:00 am »

Assuming you were in good standing with the traders before your diplomat died, it shouldn't matter too much. The net result is that you cannot order goods from the dwarves. (However, your purchases will still influence them to bring more of one good or another, and previous requests will remain.)

Since you have a legendary weapon-smith VIA moods, I would recommend just playing it on. It's the spirit of rougelikes to roll with the punches. Just remember: losing is fun!

[ May 14, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:00:00 am »

That is so messed up, I gotta laugh, but yeah, I wouldn't worry too much, since the only thing I ever convinced them to bring me via liason was wood...  telling them to bring marble or steel got me a couple pieces and that was it  :p
Demon of Darkness

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 09:14:00 am »

Heres one,
I kept waiting for my liason to arrive, my first caravan was here, but no liason.  I built a nifty little office for the delicate negotiations and even had some excellent dwarven sprits set asside for the "after meeting" festivities (not to mention the before meeting and during meeting festivities....damn dwarves drink alot!).  Anyway, he never showed.  Waiting around, fall passed to winter, my poor outpost leader stamping his dwarven wittle footsies in cold trying to stay warm while he watched the horizon, hoping for some sign that he hasnt been forgotten by his homeland dwarves.......

and then i happen to hit and look at the list of baddies roaming my area and what do I discover.............

"Numbnutz x (cant 'member his name)  -  Liason  -  Deceased"

WHAT!?!

WHEN!?!

HOW!?!

I didnt ever get any messages or anything.  Poor sucker just curled up and died somewhere.  Am I screwed?  I think I am and need to start a new game since I think also accidentally flooded the world off my river.........but the two events cant possibly be linked.......right?!    :p

GMcG

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Fooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 10:06:00 am »

I had the human liaison fall in the channel under a retracting bridge unbeknownst to me.  I found her later due to the stark raving mad notification though.  So I dug her out, and she started for the edge of the map discarding clothing as she went.  Next year she came back! Still raving mad and naked, but our conversation would not progress to ordering goods anymore.  Still, fairly funny.

I do have a question about liaisons and persistent worlds.  My last fort had a dwarf caravan and liaison get massacred by about 5 ambushes.  If my next fort in the same world has the same dwarf civilization as its dwarf home, should I still not have a liaison?  I say this because I have yet to have the dwarf liaison on this current fort.