Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game modes  (Read 1179 times)

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
Game modes
« on: February 25, 2012, 02:46:34 am »

Despite the name of the game being "Dwarf Fortress", do you think Adventure Mode will surpass Fortress Mode's number of contents? I've been playing with more Adventures as of late. (Without minding the few bugs such as the "Cannot eat because Full" with my starving hero.)
My post ends here.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game modes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 03:26:14 am »

That's not necessarily a bug. You can only eat so much food in one sitting, even if you are malnourished. Rest for an hour and then continue eating and you'll be able to finish off your meal.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 03:30:18 am »

That's not necessarily a bug. You can only eat so much food in one sitting, even if you are malnourished. Rest for an hour and then continue eating and you'll be able to finish off your meal.
Oh nice , didn't know that was intentional, because there were some reports on that matter last time I checked the list of new bugs found.
My post ends here.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:35:28 am »

I dont think adventure mode will surpass dwarf mode, but i rather think both will be kind of equal.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 04:51:23 am »

Oh nice , didn't know that was intentional, because there were some reports on that matter last time I checked the list of new bugs found.

To be more exactly:
You have 3 "slots" for eating and drinking at each sitting ...
each time you eat or drink one slot is filled.
So if you drink 3 times in one sitting all of your "slots" for this sitting are filed and you cannot eat anything during this sitting, even if you´re close to starving (and have to wait for a few gours, until you have 3 free slots again) .

As for the modes ... I agree with Miauw, all modes are equal,
especially considering the fact that, with a fortress, you also create a place for an adventurer to visit ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:53:06 am by Proteus »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 06:12:56 am »

Just fast travel/sleep/wait/do some extreme activities to free some hunger spots up :P

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 06:19:48 am »

It certainly does feel like adventure mode got more attention recently, but I think that's just a result of fortress mode having been that much ahead before. The adventure mode changes this version are setup for the features to go into fortress mode in the next few versions.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:03:43 am »

To me they'll be equal and the main fun of adventure mode is visit abandoned forts and have your own adventurers migrate to your fort. After a while you'll have killed most of the megabeasts and such and adventure mode becomes a bit boring.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 08:04:02 am »

Well, I think fort mode and adventurer mode are one day going to become almost one and the same. Read the devpage and you'll see adventurer will one day be... 1st person life. You can skip time. You can do what everyone does. Maybe you'll spend an entire "adventure" life as a farmer. At this point, fort mode will become "run somewhere" mode. You might become the Dwarven mayor of some mountainhome, and all of a sudden it's fort mode. I can imagine something like that at least. It'll be pretty awesome once we're at that stage, nobody being randomly generated would be cool. Adventurer consists of you haivng to choose a historical figure couple as your parents to get you into the game, maybe fast forwards until you're like 6 or something, then you can go off and become an apprentice or be kidnapped by gobbos or something.
Ahh. DF 1.00.00, how I dream of you.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 08:29:44 am »

Here's waiting for mining/building in adventurer mode. Setting up a magma pump stack in the middle of a town will be so much fun.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 08:31:55 am »

Adventurer consists of you haivng to choose a historical figure couple as your parents to get you into the game...

What are you talking about? Adventurers aren't born! They grow out of the soil in spawning locations, like plants.
This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!
Oh look, more apocalypse in my cereal.