Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Support the game, revise the article on wikipedia  (Read 2283 times)

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Support the game, revise the article on wikipedia
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by I3erent:
<STRONG>Addsome 3dwarf pics that ell hook em!</STRONG>

We could add a section on modability and utilites such as the 3d utility.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »

quote:
Maybe people have some actual screens to show off? We could gather them in this thread first to see what's most fitting...
Here's one:

[ May 01, 2008: Message edited by: Fedor ]

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 01:52:00 am »

GOSH this picture is lovely? A bit Offtopic, but which fortress is this?
fox has become enraged!

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 06:19:00 am »

Hm, I think the focus should rather be on the main game, especially considering the limited scope of current 'mods' etc. Moreover, a picture from the 3D viewer might be a little bit misleading IMO. Also, with only few room for pictures, concentration should again be on the main game, I think.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 12:53:00 pm »

The 3d viewer should definitely be mentioned in the section about mods, as it really is a beautiful addition to the game. Being able to see things in 3d makes all the crazy projects so much more worthwhile.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »

Dunno if wikia is relevent enough to get some effort directed to it, but just look at that article; describing DF in 5 lines is kindof blasphemous

wikia article

[ April 29, 2008: Message edited by: Krash ]

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Krash:
<STRONG>Dunno if wikia is relevent enough to get some effort directed to it, but just look at that article; describing DF in 5 lines is kindof blasphemous

wikia article

[ April 29, 2008: Message edited by: Krash ]</STRONG>

Don't worry. You can increase the # of lines by making the window smaller. Technology fixes every problem!

Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 09:17:00 pm »

If you put in 3d viewer on that Wiki link, the wikisurfers who are unfamiliar with the regular style of play will mistake 3d viewer for something that renders continually while playing.  It's best to keep talk of mods distinctly separate if possible.

I do approve of changing the picture to something like an epic battle, heck, maybe a two legged dog.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kalimar:
<STRONG>If you put in 3d viewer on that Wiki link, the wikisurfers who are unfamiliar with the regular style of play will mistake 3d viewer for something that renders continually while playing.  It's best to keep talk of mods distinctly separate if possible.</STRONG>
Definitely true.  The 3D views should be shown after the section that talks about different ways to view your fortress (including the DFMA and the 3D viewer), and then shows various examples.

quote:
Originally posted by ShunterAlhena:
<STRONG>GOSH this picture is lovely? A bit Offtopic, but which fortress is this?</STRONG>
It's Mountain-Banners

[ April 30, 2008: Message edited by: Fedor ]

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »

Are images we take while playing fair use? I know something about "greatly helps illustrate the content in question" helps qualify something as fair use. I'd rather just one of you wiki-lawyers here told me so I could just upload some pics and insert em in appropriate spots.

I'm doubting that anything in the new version substantially improves upon the image of the 2d version of DF. To someone who has never played, that image would  be basically identical to a newer one.

An image of an adventurer fighting something, with the combat text at the bottom of the screen would be a great addition to the adventure mode section.

I also notice DF is categorized as a Low Priority Game. Does this just mean low priority for vandalism-patrol or an assumption of lack of interest from the general public?

Anyways, the article is starting to shape up, it's massively better than when I first looked at. Our goal of course should be to wikify the hell out of it and make it front page material.

FunnyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasqoot:
<STRONG>I also notice DF is categorized as a Low Priority Game. Does this just mean low priority for vandalism-patrol or an assumption of lack of interest from the general public?</STRONG>

See WP's page on the subject.

quote:
Originally posted by Dasqoot:
<STRONG>Anyways, the article is starting to shape up, it's massively better than when I first looked at. Our goal of course should be to wikify the hell out of it and make it front page material.</STRONG>

I think it's good enough someone should request reclassification, it looks like at least a B-quality to me.

-FM

Beta Tester's Motto: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Pages: 1 [2]