Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFHack ethics  (Read 1027 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
DFHack ethics
« on: February 23, 2012, 07:03:22 pm »

Hey there.
I've been having problem with a city sewers on a pocket island. It's the only city big enough to have sewers, and it doesn't have any entrance (looked for it everywhere), and the sewer tunnels are full of water. Plus, the monsters I must kill are too far away in the system: I can't even touch them before drowning.

Then, I looked for some tool to "repaint"/"remake" tiles..and found DFHack.
A bit confusing to use, but now I'm using it to make stairs into the Sewer system.

How (un)ethical is that?
Our adventurers could (some day) build their own ramps and stairs, so is this considered cheating?

Of course, I don't really care if it is  :P DF is too "moddable" to anyone care if they are cheating or not.
One can have fun playing vanilla, where other can have fun 'repainting' a map.

Just want to understand and gather the views of the adv community.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack ethics
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:05:43 pm »

It's a single playered game. It doesn't really matter what ethics people have about it.

It's kind of like getting off to really strange shit. Nothing wrong with it, until you go multiplayer and end up on a murder-rape spree.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:12:40 pm »

It may well be an innocent fix -this- time, but in the eyes of the community your claims are henceforth forever questionable muahahahaahhaaha...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:15:16 pm »

It may well be an innocent fix -this- time, but in the eyes of the community your claims are henceforth forever questionable muahahahaahhaaha...

OH GOD, NO.

It's a single playered game. It doesn't really matter what ethics people have about it.

It's kind of like getting off to really strange shit. Nothing wrong with it, until you go multiplayer and end up on a murder-rape spree.

That's fearfully well described.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 07:30:13 pm »

It doesn't matter much to me.

I think the effort vs. the payout makes such editing unattractive. I'd probably just find some other quests; there's no harm in leaving things incomplete (beyond personal annoyance). However I also do not use utilities, so I don't know if it's trivial to modify the map; nor do I typically play in a pocket world, so I rarely lack for quests or places to explore.

Still, even if you found something so amazing and interesting as to win you internets or somesuch, and you choose to keep your "cheating" to yourself, I'd care precious little. I figure the primary goal is, after all, to have fun.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:12:34 pm »

Yep, in this case it was totally personal annoyance. All civ leaders would give me a quest to kill stuff that was on the sewers, and I had no chance to go there at all.

I don't want my char to become a vampire nor anything, therefore, all the obvious "turn into a beast and go there" were ruled out.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 08:47:10 pm »

that is the strangest comparison i have ever heard. it makes a strange amount of sense.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:43:30 am »

That's fearfully well described.

Thanks. I tend to get around. You learn quite a bit from the STRANGEST things, I tell you.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:45:01 am by Angel-of-Dusk »