Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The adventures of Milhouse, Legendary Annoyance  (Read 2245 times)

KiTA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The adventures of Milhouse, Legendary Annoyance
« on: November 08, 2007, 11:37:00 pm »

(Cross posted to Gameplay and Bug Report.  Anyone have any ideas?)

Ok, so on my fort, we have a nice magma tunnel.  It does not go all the way to the surface, but it goes close (roughly 3 floors down or so).

All is well.  I'm building floors over the magma cap, putting workshops on those floors.

Until the Milhouse, Fire Imp of DOOM shows up.

He won't leave.  He sits there, 1 tile down, in the magma (not on the surface).

He has not moved for over 2 years.

And my dwarves can see him from the room, which they immediately cancel their jobs over.  Repeatedly.  Over and over and over again.  They literally take 2 steps away, decide to try again, then are interrupted.  Over and over.

I finally had to forbid the entire room to get the 50 or so dwarves to leave the entranceway and go do something else.

So someone suggested putting military dwarves in front of him and let him come up to attack him.

Nope, he sits there, making faces at my apparently kobolds-in-dwarven clothing.    

The marksmen can't shoot down to him, instead shooting towards him, but the arrows stay on the current Z level, flying out into oblivion.

I lost one engraver attempting to dig a fortification to attack him from the side.  Thinking back, this wasn't my best idea ever.

The newest plan was to surround a 3x3 block of floor with channels above him, letting the resulting slab of doom slam into it's head.

This isn't working, of course, because the dwarves can see him through the cannels, and cancel the digging.

ANY idea as to a way to recover my mining operation?  This is completely absurd!

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
Re: The adventures of Milhouse, Legendary Annoyance
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:48:00 pm »

Yep this is bug has been reported before. Dwarves fear creatures on completely different z-levels. Projectiles are also not implemented for different levels, yet. I believe you can change your "gate" location with the [h]otkeys menu...that may just change where the button takes you, though it's worth a try.

quote:
Originally posted by KiTA:
<STRONG>All is well. I'm building floors over the magma cap, putting workshops on those floors.</STRONG>

Bloody Armok, at first glance I read "magma carp" and nearly soiled my skirt.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

KiTA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 12:28:00 am »

Nah, my gate is far away.  My problem is, my entire magma/glass operation is completely dead in the water right now.  :(  

I'm actually going to be removing the stairs down to that section soon, they are no longer needed and are honestly just a danger.

I just can't think of any way to get rid of that darned imp.  :(

alex may

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 02:03:00 am »

Drain out the magma from below?

Akael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 03:08:00 am »

When that happened, I sealed off the entire area from the main town square.

My judgement was precise, as moments after the wall was done the magma man kicked down my floodgate and flooded my metalworking room and part of the hallway of my industrial sector. Thankfully, he left, and I built a new magma smith above the flooded room. Never had a problem with magma creatures ever since.

KiTA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 12:27:00 am »

New version, same problem, alas.  :(

I don't suppose anyone wants the savefile?

Hesitris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 02:34:00 am »

The devlog says that shooting across the z-axis should work now. Perhaps try having your hunter(s) gun it down again?

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 11:54:00 pm »

Could you cause a multiple story collapse? According to the wiki, un-mined stone keeps going until it hits solid ground, so why not start the cave in two levels above the bugger? It should punch right though the bottom layer, assuming its dug out.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 12:02:00 am »

quote:
I lost one engraver attempting to dig a fortification to attack him from the side. Thinking back, this wasn't my best idea ever.

Hahahahahahahaha! XD

You just made my day.  :D

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 12:11:00 am »

Do this.

code:

Side.
##._.##
##_._##
##...##
~~~~~~~
~~~i~~~

code:

3 Above magma/annoyance
#####
#...#
.._.#
#...#
#####
2 Above magmannoyance
#####
#___#
._._#
#___#
#####
1 level above magma or annoyance, it doesnt matter as long as there's a stone floor between the miner and the imp.
#####
#...#
..I.#
#...#
#####

. Dug out
_ Channel
# Wall,unmined stone
~ Magma/liquid
i Annoyance.
I Support, completely optional.
This is assuming you have stone atleast 3-4 levels thick above the imp. If not, then you can go ahead and build a structure that you can then collapse into the magma where the mined out areas would be.

Also the support is to make sure it's completely safe for your miners so the cave-in doesnt take one or two of them out. (Collapses suck things in for some reason)

[ December 29, 2007: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 07:16:00 am »

Old thread and problem probably solved now anyways (z-level shooting works now).

Night Stalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 06:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Turgid Bolk:
Bloody Armok, at first glance I read "magma carp" and nearly soiled my skirt.

That would be a great and fearsome monster in this game.

And could lead to magma fishing.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dreiche2:
<STRONG>Old thread and problem probably solved now anyways (z-level shooting works now).</STRONG>

No, it doesnt.  Dwarves dont shoot through two levels of a liquid.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 03:48:00 am »

Even if they could, how long would bone bolts last in magma?

And even though it didn't accomplish what it was intended to do, the magma fortification idea was brilliant for an entirely different reason.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 10:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

No, it doesnt.  Dwarves dont shoot through two levels of a liquid.</STRONG>

But are they interrupted by someone that is actually submerged below the magma? As far as I understood the original post the imp sits one level below the workshops, i.e. in the top magma level, and hence can both be seen and shot....

All I can say from my experience is that when I had a problem with interrupting imps in magma, it could always be solved by stationing markdwarves there (and I guess setting them to harass animals?!).