Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Impossible moods?  (Read 5117 times)

Brog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://smestorp.googlepages.com/
Re: Impossible moods?
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2007, 02:21:00 am »

Since you know moods are going to come, it makes sense to plan for them.  Very early on, try to build a small stock of each type of material (cloth, leather, glass, gems, shell, etc.) either from what you can find on your map, through trading, or even in your initial provisions.  You just need one turtle.
Since moods are a known element that can be planned for, I find that it is very rare to get stuck unable to fulfill one, unless it's very early on, I did something wrong, or I deliberately chose a challenging start location.

And if you do lose one dwarf, what's the problem?  He'll be replaced soon by some immigrants.  You never lose more than one because you can just lock him in if he goes beserk.

I hear moods required specific types of rock etc in the old version.  I've only played the new one, and in my experience they just require an item in the correct general category (aside from the glass types being distinct).

[ November 12, 2007: Message edited by: Brog ]

mestorp will crush your house.

Durnheist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2007, 03:06:00 pm »

I just had a dwarf require Ilmenite, which I had found but not yet mined.  He also wanted pig tail cloth, I had lots of giant cave spider silk and cave spider silk stockpiled next to him but he wouldn't use any of it.  I had to go to a farmer's workshop to make pigtail into thread, the thread into cloth and as soon as I did he snagged it.  Same thing with the Ilmenite, dug it and he grabbed it.  I knew to dig it because it was something that he "liked" and so I figured it would be the stone he wanted.  As far as I can tell if they like something specific, say a rock type, and they want rock for a mood, it'll be that rock type.  If not, but they need rock for a mood, I think it may be totally arbitrary, and they may just use whatever is on hand.  I think that goes for anything, wood, gems, whatever.  If they like something specific in that category that's what they want, otherwise they'll just take whatever.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »

I've had two dwarves make impossible demands so far.

What's that? You want raw rock crystal glass? That's like, a double whammy. First off, I have yet to see any rock crystal on this map. I'd go as far as saying there isn't any.
Second, no sand, as far as I know. There's still one biome I haven't fully tapped into yet but I do not think there are any sand layers in it.

Then green glass. Still not as bad, but no sand.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2007, 07:12:00 am »

I've considered turning fey moods off, sometimes they can completely ruin the game, like losing in the first season because all your seven dwarves get fey moods and require magnetite and blue diamonds, with you still trying to get through the aquifier that wasn't supposed to be in that strata... But that was a fairly bad day. A failed fey mood later in the game isn't hurting all that much. "Boo hoo. One of my twelve legendary bone carvers needs to be locked up."

Still, it's frustrating, and I see why people would want it turned off. I know I would have wanted it sometimes. And yes, the "reward" for the rare, occasional successful mood is usually pure unbridled FA.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.
Pages: 1 2 [3]