Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can someone help playtest a modded race?  (Read 2763 times)

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone help playtest a modded race?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 08:38:09 am »

Yeah, restricting nagas from producing weapons like pikes is a good step - when masterwork steel spears are at play, the ability to one-hand an +iron pike+ sounds a lot less concerning.

I'm glad that the balance concerns seem to be working out for your mod, btw. Always nice when that happens :).

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 09:27:18 am »

Well, when i hear naga i instantly think warcraft III
ah well thats the problem, i think Greek mythology when i hear it, snake women with bows and spears.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 09:56:00 am »

The way I see it, no matter how strong the race is when it comes to attacks, it's really not going to make much difference in terms of balance because combat in DF is all about survivability. If a Naga adventurer then has an advantage upon aquiring better gear, then one could say that's asymmetric design at work.

It's straying a bit from the point of this thread, but one thing I'd consider doing is giving the Naga a dramatically better agility attribute, but significantly lowering their base speed (lowering as in making them slower). This'll put their "handling" on a different scale to the other races (because, as you probably know, speed is multiplicatively affected by agility and other attributes). Or perhaps it should be the other way around. Low speed and high agility makes me think of something that can move fast by design; vice versa I think of something that has a lot of potential via technique but isn't so steady at first. It'd make them a little more interesting at least.

Also note that willpower and focus have effects on combat.

i think Greek mythology when i hear it, snake women with bows and spears.

You mean the amalgamation of the Gorgon/Lamia concept and general Greek/Roman themage adopted by fantasy writers?
Pages: 1 [2]