Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A tool I'd like to see: Dwarven Genealogy  (Read 877 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
A tool I'd like to see: Dwarven Genealogy
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:35:46 pm »

I can't code, so I can't make this. But I feel like it would be useful if someone would create a tool that allowed you, in an instant, to see the family relations of all the dwarves you have.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A tool I'd like to see: Dwarven Genealogy
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:00:23 pm »

You can do exactly that already.  "v" to select a dwarf, "z" to view statistics, and finally "r" to view relationships.  I believe the original 7 won't have any family, but migrants will often have pages of relatives from world gen.  Sometimes relatives will even move to your fort at a later date.  It helps to have more than a very short world history, too.

echonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 05:36:03 pm »

I'm sure he realizes he can do that in game, he probably wants a actual tree UI in a program where you can navigate freely through the tree to see how it branches out from each node.

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 06:46:44 pm »

if the relationships are retrievable from memory, then you could just get it to export to an XML/CSV and import into regular RL Genealogy programs.... assuming you knew how to retrieve the info from DF.. and knew the addresses....