Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Import-only Items  (Read 1209 times)

whitecold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Import-only Items
« on: February 23, 2012, 01:31:53 pm »

Is it possible to create  weapons/armor that cannot be created at the forge, but can be imported by the dwarven merchants?
I would like to create some powerful import-only items to have something to trade for.

Thanks

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Import-only Items
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:40:20 pm »

Yes and No.

You can make an item that can only be made by a custom reaction and add this reaction to the civ that should get it.

Problem: If you add it to the dwarven traders, you will be able to make it as well, since you play dwarves. Easier would be elves/humans.

A workaround that might do: I am not sure about this one, but do not assign a building to the reaction, this way you cant use it in Fortress Mode, but your home civ might use it in world gen.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:47:13 pm »

You could always just make a duplicate of the dwarf entity, remove [PLAYABLE_CIV], and give them access to whatever weapons you would like to trade for.  Since the ethics will be identical, they should be allied with you and will probably even send a liaison to ask what you want next year.  Might be a good idea to change the name of their race so you can distinguish, in case this doesn't work. 

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 01:54:23 pm »

The reaction which makes the product but no possible building for it should work. At least, I've done something of the sort in the past.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

whitecold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:32:21 pm »

I tried that, but the items wont appear, at least on the embark screen. I haven't checked actual traders thought.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:58:04 pm »

You can make an item that can only be made by a custom reaction and add this reaction to the civ that should get it.

Does this work now? All I could get working previously was materials; I use a reaction to assure everyone gets iron. I have a few different types of food in my own personal mod but I never see any of them available through trading.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

whitecold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:03:23 am »

No, it doesn't. I found out the same, materials work but i can't get any items to be import only

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:48:15 am »

what about setting the nesded materials to somthing rediculus like 100,000 bars i dont think the mountain home respects quanty of a material neaded but only availability. youd still be able to make it in dwarf mode in theory however(if you had100,000 bars )

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 03:03:05 am »

Haha, another variant could be a needed reagent which boils at room temp. Shouldn't stop the civ getting it but you won't be able to make it.