Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dungeon entrance  (Read 7297 times)

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dungeon entrance
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:20:24 pm »

I had a mission to kill an outlaw in a dungeon, but can not find the entry.
 The site is an open space with nothing ......

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dungeon entrance
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:34:12 pm »

Dungeons are in town keeps. Find the closest keep in the center of a town and go down the stairs. The guy should be somewhere in there (How the keep under a castle makes a good base of operations of gangs still confuses me. Maybe they bribe the lawgiver...)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 02:43:04 pm »

I think the dungeons linking to the keep is kind of a mistake. Not an intentional mistake, that is. It just doesn't track with a lot of players that there are up to _30_ bandits living under the keep within a stone's throw of the stairwell. The Dungeons are huge, seriously huge. But the fact they start right at the keep just doesn't feel right. The keep should certainly have an entrance to the Dungeon, but it shouldn't be THE entrance. It would be more fun to find an entrance to the dungeons via the sewers, the catacombs, or at least after having to explore the dungeons just a wee bit. Instead it's usually "Enter dungeon, open first door, get struck down by Brass/Copper/Silver arrows and bolts.

The populations down there seem a little absurd too, either in terms of numbers or their peak skill levels.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:43:31 pm »

Well it's supposed to simulate the old abandoned dungeons of the keep, replete with secret passages to sewers/catacombs abandoned long ago, it's just not complex enough to really make it look like this yet.

(EDIT)
I agree with nenjin, but for the moment this is a lot better than the nothing we had before. Genning this stuff from a script is hard. It's hard just to get a 1-level dungeon genned on your own if you create your own roguelike, without bad intersections and yet while making it appealing. Multi-level is more complex and I think toady would really kill it if he had 2 weeks to spend solely on it, but the release is good as it is IMO. I just suspend my disbelief for now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:46:06 pm by Isher »

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 03:20:16 pm »

ok...i continue my search....

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 03:26:40 pm »

Are you sure that it said dungeon and not sewers?

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:30:31 pm »

Yes, dungeon not sewer

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:29:44 pm »

Well it's supposed to simulate the old abandoned dungeons of the keep, replete with secret passages to sewers/catacombs abandoned long ago, it's just not complex enough to really make it look like this yet.

Based on the one I've taken the time to extensively explore (and clean out) they can be fairly complex. A lot of stairwells, 10 levels, passages that don't necessarily meet up. In my current dungeon I found a whole second wing after clearing out what I thought was the main dungeon of humans (probably close to 20 of them.) The second wing had dwarves (which eventually spammed me with crossbow bolts), and I think I barely scratched the surface of it.

When I was clearing the first floor, I thought initially that bad guys were respawning somehow, because the same group of lashers and pikemen would meet me in the same spot every time, even after I killed "the commander." In reality what was happening I think was all the human baddies in the dungeon slowly filtered up toward that spot over my repeat visits, until I finally killed them all. That was probably close to 2 hours of non-stop dungeon crawling until the dwarves brought me down.

So yeah, I think the dungeons are plenty complex (if a little redundant.) The stuff in them just needs to be found a little deeper, or be spaced out a little better for game play purposes. Entering the first room and running into 7 guys is just kind of a kick in the balls, since everyone is recommending going straight to the dungeon to get gear. Personally, I found it way easier to kill half a dozen werebeasts and get some skill up first.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:32:03 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 12:20:18 pm »

nothing!
I have found a warehouse... but i can't find the dungeon entrance...

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 12:33:40 pm »

@nenjin - by "not complex enough" I meant that the entrance to the "abandoned" dungeon wasn't half-hidden deep below some regular basement/dungeon stuff, some kind of hard-to-find trap door or secret passageway (functionality we all expect to be in at some point but not right now), and that from there the entrances to sewers/other areas weren't themselves hidden or clearly mined through stone or something. I do agree that the dungeon/catacomb areas are relatively complex themselves, and I agree that they should be further down, but for now I suspend my disbelief :)

nothing!

Did you actually go into the keep and then down below? The keep is the big stone square walled courtyard in the middle of town. It will connect (usually) to several named places, and once you go down your location marker might change. If not you'll probably die fighting badguys anyway, which is the real goal here.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:35:41 pm by Isher »

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 12:48:12 pm »

When I was clearing the first floor, I thought initially that bad guys were respawning somehow, because the same group of lashers and pikemen would meet me in the same spot every time, even after I killed "the commander." In reality what was happening I think was all the human baddies in the dungeon slowly filtered up toward that spot over my repeat visits, until I finally killed them all.
Actually, they are respawning.  See the bug tracker report
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 01:31:36 pm »

@nenjin - by "not complex enough" I meant that the entrance to the "abandoned" dungeon wasn't half-hidden deep below some regular basement/dungeon stuff, some kind of hard-to-find trap door or secret passageway (functionality we all expect to be in at some point but not right now), and that from there the entrances to sewers/other areas weren't themselves hidden or clearly mined through stone or something. I do agree that the dungeon/catacomb areas are relatively complex themselves, and I agree that they should be further down, but for now I suspend my disbelief :)

nothing!

Did you actually go into the keep and then down below? The keep is the big stone square walled courtyard in the middle of town. It will connect (usually) to several named places, and once you go down your location marker might change. If not you'll probably die fighting badguys anyway, which is the real goal here.

You have some images of the keep?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 01:57:53 pm »

When I was clearing the first floor, I thought initially that bad guys were respawning somehow, because the same group of lashers and pikemen would meet me in the same spot every time, even after I killed "the commander." In reality what was happening I think was all the human baddies in the dungeon slowly filtered up toward that spot over my repeat visits, until I finally killed them all.
Actually, they are respawning.  See the bug tracker report.

So that would be why my companions get flanked all the time.
I hope this does not count for commanders/overlords.
Having one Panzer tank-like human attack you is bad enough.
Especially if you have nothing to harm them but a few silver arrows and a +iron long sword+

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 03:25:36 pm »

Dungeons aren't just below the fortresses; They sometimes are adjacent to catacombs or sewers without a link to the dungeon under the fortresses. They are quite complex but are nice to navigate. If you used memory as a dump stat however don't go to any of these - you will get lost quite fast.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 03:53:38 pm »

Dungeons aren't just below the fortresses; They sometimes are adjacent to catacombs or sewers without a link to the dungeon under the fortresses. They are quite complex but are nice to navigate. If you used memory as a dump stat however don't go to any of these - you will get lost quite fast.

i'll have to disagree with that, i dumped memory and i never get lost

@miauw62, they aren't getting flanked cus stuff is re-spawning they are getting flanked cus companions are stupid and open random doors like idiots instead of waiting. stuff only re-spawns once you leave the general area, like if you fast travel out of a dungeon or move too far away from the point that had the monsters in it, mostly anything the games memory keeps track of shouldn't have stuff spawning back into it.

and yea the keep is just a block in the middle of town you go into it and then go into the building in the middle of it and you should be able to get into the dungeons there. if not then your stuck with the catacombs or the sewers, i personally would choose the catacombs first as the sewers are usually full of dead ends/underwater pathways that drown anyone that has to breath.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.