Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bug and questions report  (Read 1435 times)

Munchkin9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bug and questions report
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:58:00 pm »

I looked and did not find any of this.
First the bug:

In my fortress with 61 dwarfs, I have a starting fortress guard and of course the leader of the guards is my not so mighty Captain of the Guard. And every thing was going well...UNTIL: The mayor ordered some flasks to be made. Now since I did not have what was required and I really had other things to do then bow to every whim of a whimpering noble I decided to ignore him, so who cares some nobody will be thrown in jail but what would I care. BIG MISTAKE: For some reason once the alloted time ran out to make the flask the mayor started pointing fingers, only natural, HOWEVER, for some reason he decided that above all people the Captain of the Guards was the criminal (wtf) so no the captain is sitting in the barracks continuously repeating the he can't chain the criminal because he can't find the path ( in simpler terms: he is the criminal, but does not want to or can not chain him self). The results is the the captain of the guard is not usable as he is in a continuous loop and his days in prison are not going down because he is not in prison. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW. Maybe make it so the Captain of the Guard is above the law  :cool:.

And one thing that is still bothering me about that story is why the Captain of the Guard is the criminal. He is a carpenter for peet's sake.

Anyway now to the questions:
1. How effective are traps, in other words: what is more efficient? Traps or Guards.
2. If your fortress is not built by a river how do you take care of wounded dwarfs? 2 have died so far because they refuse to drink good old wine.
3. What are the best and fastest ways (and easiest of course) to raise the states (strength, agility, and toughness) of your dwarfs?
4. Not exactly a question: I have noticed that if you tell a squad to station somewhere and then station them somewhere else while they are still moving only the leader will change his course which means that s/he will usually end up fighting the enemy horde alone and obviously die. Is this intentional?
And that is all I can think of right now, I will probably remember one in five seconds so be prepared to interrogated again momentarily.

-Munchkin

he Short guy
The so short guy
He just might be a...
D W A R F

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bug and questions report
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

have you tried to (r)eplace the captain of the guard? this would let someone else move him to jail.

when a mandate fails, a random dwarf is targeted. skill dosent matter, it can be anyone. if your lucky they get prison, if your not lucky they get beaten to death.

1: read the wiki. traps are fantastic for killin stuff. early on you can make spiked balls in your carpenters shop. guards are great with x-bows on a high wall with fortifications, otherwise you really need lord/champion melee to win reliably.

2: i dig a tunnel to the river, with metal bars, and floodgate linked to lever on one end, two-deep resivoir under well on the other (with top above the rivers water line). dig the last space as a channel, and let the water flood in. instant well and fishing hole inside your defenses.

3: engraving/mining. set em to work, and their skill will go up fast. but if they get a fey mood, its mining/engraving that will legendary instead of crafting.

dunno on the squads, i tend to use a lot of weapon traps when i can. that or the gaurds from merchant caravans.

Munchkin9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:55:00 pm »

Thank you for all the help except for one thing: for question 2 ( i think ) That is not my problem my problem is that I have no river in the area I built my fortress at all. (Or am I just   :( )
he Short guy
The so short guy
He just might be a...
D W A R F

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:02:00 am »

If there's no water whatsoever, then you're out of luck. Dwarves will have to heal before they die of dehydration. Depending on the injury, you can try removing all the available (i.e. unowned) beds; that should force the dwarf to not rest. A dwarf with a yellow hand injury should be able to carry on with his duties for the most part, for example.

If you have ponds available, those can be used as water sources. Usually I relocate surface water to an underground cistern, because I don't trust the stuff to not evaporate, though since you have 60 dwarves, you've been around long enough that if it's going to evaporate, then it's already gone. Anyway, just make some buckets and dwarves will be able to give injured dwarves water, assuming the nurses don't get hungry, thirsty, or tired themselves en route. Or get distracted by deer - another reason to make an underground cistern.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:28:00 am »

If you don't want criminals to be punished, don't have a captain of the guard or prison.  No justice system means penalties never get implemented.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 10:32:00 am »

ok... click (u) and scroll down to deceased. look to see if any water creatures (snakemen, lizardmen, giant olms) are on that list. if they are, then you know you have an underground river or pond.

looking at dead units is a great way to know if you have a chasm or river hidden underground. if none show up after a couple of years, then your out of luck on water unless you can find an aquifer.

Munchkin9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 11:39:00 am »

Okay update: I tried to switch the Captain of the Guard but still no luck: Now it just says "whateverhisnameis, Wrestler cancels chain animal, could not find path" and yes I have to tried to deactivate her it does not change anything.

So any more advice would be welcomed.

EDIT: Never mind something just happened: The old Captain of the Guard chained the new one (WTF).   :confused:

EDIT2: Another question: How do you feed and give water to a dwarf in prison, because they don't do it through health care.

[ May 14, 2008: Message edited by: Munchkin9 ]

[ May 14, 2008: Message edited by: Munchkin9 ]

he Short guy
The so short guy
He just might be a...
D W A R F