Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do bars keep out carp but not vermin fish?  (Read 1463 times)

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do bars keep out carp but not vermin fish?
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

I just started on my first map with carp on it (I've been playing a while but never with a river), I've heard the terrible stories so I want a way to rape the river of it's wealth like I have done with brooks without endangering my dwarves.

Do bars or fortifications in channels keep out carp but not the tasty fish?

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
Re: Do bars keep out carp but not vermin fish?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:44:00 pm »

As far as I can tell, it keeps everything out. Just send out some dogs with your fisherdwarves, or perhaps some x-bows.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:51:00 pm »

bars will keep carp out.

Vermin should spawn where-ever, so the bars wouldn't really be 'keeping' them out. however, since they at the site instead of existing and traveling, if you divert the river too far you won't get any river fish, just turtles.

kamikazemoose

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 05:09:00 am »

As far as I can tell fish (or at least turtles) will spawn wherever there's water. I can't see bars changing this as you can divert some water away and cut it completely of from the river and there's still fish there.

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 05:22:00 am »

would it be concidered a pond or part of the river if you built a trough running parallel to the river (at a safe distance from the carp) that had barred channels connecting to the river at both ends?  maybe build a wall in between the two channels next to the river if you're feeling insecure.  the trough would have fresh, flowing water for a water source and it would be close to the river so hopefully fish would spawn in it (if they don't you'll at least get turtles).
cause of unexplainable mischief

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

fish evolution in DF happens incredably fast, even if you bar carp from an indoor pond they will probably evolve from the bacteria in the pond within a few short years.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:47:00 am »

@ woodgnome
In my experience, it has absolutely nothing to do with the qualities of the water, flowing vs. stagnant etc., and everything to do with the proximity of the fisherdwarf to the river. If you create a completely separate pond near the river you'll get fish out of it; have a connected channel halfway across the map and you'll only get the fish near the river, it'll be turtles everywhere else.