Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brewer won't take empty barrels?  (Read 2396 times)

Pvt Minsk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Brewer won't take empty barrels?
« on: November 08, 2007, 11:26:00 am »

Hello again! I've run into a second newbie problem now.

I have a still now and a vast stockpile of plump helmet. The carpenter is producing a lot of barrels because I'm trying to brew alcohol - all my friends tell me that it's easy to produce.

The problem is that whenever the carpenter finishes a barrel, the empty barrel is hauled into my food stockpile, and for some reason the brewer won't use these barrels for brewing. So while my plant storage is up to "200?", I have zero drinks. Fortunately, the climate around my fortress is so warm that the river freezes for such a short time that no one dies of thirst, but it is still a nuisance. Proper dwarves drink ale, not water!

The only solution I've found so far is to remove the empty stockpile spaces so the barrels aren't carried there. But this isn't an effective solution since I do want some barrels to go to the stockpiles so I can actually store my food. Is there some easy way to regulate barrels that go to food stockpiles and that go to brewing that a newbie like me might have missed?

[ November 08, 2007: Message edited by: Pvt Minsk ]

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer won't take empty barrels?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:53:00 am »

A slight problem with food production is that you gain food so fast, it takes up all you empty barrels for storage. You'll either have to produce much much more barrels, or stop farming/butchery/fish cleaning/cooking for a while. Temporary solution is to go over your food stockpiles with (q) and set the number of allowed barrels to zero (E).
Only problem is that you will probably end up with rotting food and miasma as long as you don't stop producing food.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Pvt Minsk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 12:16:00 pm »

Ah I see ,that's the problem then. The problem you described with your plan is about the same as my method, except that yours a bit more efficient with food storage.

Well I got a lot of immigrants just now so I see two plans: I build a second or even third carpenter's shop and set one or two to repeatedly make barrels while a team of woodcutters chops down half the mountainside, OR I hollow out a really big storage space out of the sand so no stones litter the floor and designate that a food stockpile with zero barrels.

But hey, thanks for helping out! It lightened me up on what was going against the plan!

[ November 08, 2007: Message edited by: Pvt Minsk ]

gloogorshkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vine-gar.tk
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »

You can also set a number of reserved barrels which will not be used for food in stockpiles.  Open the stock[p]iles menu and use
  • (the one on the numpad) to increase the number of reserved barrels.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:51:00 pm »

Here's what I do: two stockpiles, one for drink, one for food, disabling the other in each. Then put the "max barrels" setting in the food pile to less than however many I have, while letting the drink pile have as much as it wants. Then just put brew on repeat, and voilá. Well, as long as someone actually gets around to brewing...
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.