Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring in the barracks - how?  (Read 1615 times)

Splendid Belt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sparring in the barracks - how?
« on: November 08, 2007, 05:10:00 am »

I've been playing the game for a few months now on and off, and have still never seen a single member of my miitary ever bother to train / spar.  In my current game I have a barracks set up, two recruits (not that far into the game, only got about 37 dwarves in total) who both have decent weapons and armour, but as far as I can see they never even visit the barracks.  Their military skills are all listed as 'dabbling'.

Oh and one more question - when you build a road, does it have to lead right up to your entrance?  I've not so cunningly built my trade depot right in front of my gates, so this could be problematic...

Akael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring in the barracks - how?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 05:20:00 am »

To make dwarves spar, they need a barracks with a lot of free room. At least 6x6, I think. And they need to be off duty, make sure to check their squad with [m] [v].

A road is only really needed until it's a clear stretch to your entrance, as it only comes in handy with human wagons that need to dodge around trees and such. A road just clears the way so they can make it to your entrance faster.

saijonas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 05:29:00 am »

I've seen dwarves sparring in a 1*3 (3 tile) armory and a 3*3 (9 tile) barracks.
The thing's that I've noticed stopped them from sparring was having one with a weapon and one without, xbow dwarves still don't seem to spar (but will target shoot), and being on duty stops them from sparring, as mentioned by Akol.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 05:42:00 am »

You also sometimes seem to have more luck if they aren't in the same squad, but that might just be an impression as opposed to fact.

However with only two dwarves they'd both have to be in the barracks and want to spar at the same time. I'd suggest waiting till you have 6+ recruits before worrying about training them up.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

raoul78

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 06:08:00 am »

Probably you have them on duty (its default when you draft or when a military dwarf arrives), and they won't spar while on duty.

Splendid Belt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 07:43:00 am »

Thanks for the responses all.  I had them off duty, so that wasn't the issue, but when I increased the barracks size by one row, suddenly they were interesting in sparring.  It was already about 10x3 or something, so I made it 10x4 and hey presto.

And a few moments later I got a huge immigration including a couple of swordsdwarfs and axedwarfs, so plenty of sparring partners now too.  Now I just need something to kill .  :D

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Splendid Belt:
<STRONG>Oh and one more question - when you build a road, does it have to lead right up to your entrance?  I've not so cunningly built my trade depot right in front of my gates, so this could be problematic...</STRONG>
Nope, just to the depot. I don't know if you need a road for even that except to ensure that no trees grow up and block the way...
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 03:02:00 pm »

If they have ANY wound ( Even unhealing internal wounds ) they will no longer spar. A common injury while sparring is the spine, and as it never heals they will never spar and are basicly useless as military dwarves.