Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Complete newbie with a question  (Read 2018 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Complete newbie with a question
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 12:19:11 pm »

3: Fiddle with the schedules, wiki, and more youtube.  The answers are floating there somewhere...  I might be motivated towards making a military tutorial, if I can get motivated to it.

Please do. It took me about 4 forts to get a functioning military, and I've forgotten it all. It would be very useful. :P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 12:31:47 pm »

I've embarked and started the "regular fort" phase.  Will be posting with results soon-ish.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 12:33:26 pm »

Girlinhat is credit to team!
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 12:41:44 pm »

Is the dwarf on break or hauling or something?  Dwarves are naturally fickle and prone to distractions.  If he's sitting around with "No Job" then there's an issue.  Check to make sure the furnace isn't forbidden, and that the logs aren't forbidden.

Also, he might be 'on break', wich is pretty rare, except if anything important has to be done.
If this is the case, you just have to wait a while.
it puzzled me the first time i saw it too, so dont worry, and btw, welcome to the df forums! prepare for !!fun!!, pig tail fiber socks, magma, and loads and loads of witty in-jokes.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 12:46:08 pm »

Is the dwarf on break or hauling or something?  Dwarves are naturally fickle and prone to distractions.  If he's sitting around with "No Job" then there's an issue.  Check to make sure the furnace isn't forbidden, and that the logs aren't forbidden.

prepare for !!fun!!, pig tail fiber socks, magma, and loads and loads of witty in-jokes.

Don't you mean !!pig tail fibre sock!!
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 01:37:03 pm »

I've embarked and started the "regular fort" phase.  Will be posting with results soon-ish.

So very, very pleased to hear this. :D

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 08:31:18 pm »

Guess what guys! I found the problem with that slacker! He needed to have hauling on. The second I turned it on, he ran from 'no job' (not on break, or sleeping or drinking), picked up some wood, and went to burn it :)

Now to try out this military business. I hope I've read enough to understand it
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 08:56:03 pm »

#1, Get dwarf therapist.

#2, Highlight desired skills (eg. Woodburning) on someone who doesint have anything else or someone with a high skill for it.

#3, ?????

#4, Profit
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 02:51:15 am »

#1, Get dwarf therapist.

#2, Highlight desired skills (eg. Woodburning) on someone who doesint have anything else or someone with a high skill for it.

#3, ?????

#4, Profit

Except that he needed to have hauling on too! And dwarf therapist isnt necessary (until you get like 50 dwarves.....
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together
Pages: 1 [2]