Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with butchering  (Read 990 times)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems with butchering
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:01:18 am »

So is it me who does something wrong or is butchering in adventure mode somehow broken?

My adventurer (pikeman) has a companion who is bowman.
While traveling rthrough the wilderness we met a Tiercel Peregrine, which was shot on sight by the bowman.
I took the corpse into my left hand, dropped my pike and got my large copper dagger out of my backpack (and placed it into my right hand).
Then I tried to butcher it (x -> b -> enter) ... but nothing happens ... there is no option to select an item for butcher and the corpse stays a corpse instead of turning into multiple edible parts
I also tried to put the corpse on the ground and butcher it (while being in the same tile (and in a third attempt while being in an adjacent tile) but with the same result.

So is this tasty peregrine corpse doomed to rot away in my backpack with me being unable to butcher it, or is there any way that I overlooked?  :'(

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with butchering
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:03:47 am »

the body has to be on the ground not in your hand.

also some animals that are too small cant be butchered by adventurers.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:07:47 am »

Peregrines are too small to yield any meat or bones when butchered, so you can't butcher them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:33:41 am »

Well, Wiki (for the last version) says it works both, i.e. butcherable item either on the ground or in your off-hand.

So the peregrine is too small. Pity, no roasted peregrine intestines for me then and the peregrine died a useless dead  :'(

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 11:38:06 am »

Not at all!!  It died for !!SCIENCE!!

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 12:11:49 pm »

Thatīs true, of course... :D
unfortunately in the new version it is usually the monsters that perform !!SCIENCE!! on me  :o

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 12:14:10 pm »

Well, Wiki (for the last version) says it works both, i.e. butcherable item either on the ground or in your off-hand.

So the peregrine is too small. Pity, no roasted peregrine intestines for me then and the peregrine died a useless dead  :'(

hmm ok then, i'll have to try that next time i kill a dingo, as i havnt done it with the new update, tried with the old and it failed.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Felgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 02:46:02 pm »

Not sure if you're already doing this by the commands you've posted, so forgive me if you are. After you use the down arrow key to highlight butcher, use the right arrow key to move the highlight to the corpse you want to butcher, and then press enter. Then make sure your sharp weapon/object is highlighted to the right of the corpse to execute the butcher command.

Edit: I use this with corpses on the ground, not sure about those in your hand as I never do it that way.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:47:39 pm by Felgar »

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 04:54:51 pm »

Yep,
I now had another case where my adventurer (well, the next adventurer, as the adventurer with the peregrines got a bolt into the head by a xbow sniper ;) ) had a de facto butcherable animal (a honey badger) ...
in this case I got what I expected and what was missing for the peregrine (i.e. the butcherable corpse was displayed right of the "Butcher"-Command (and could be selected by pressing the right arrow))