Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding leather to cave crocs?  (Read 1270 times)

Hamek McEisenfaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adding leather to cave crocs?
« on: May 25, 2012, 09:43:33 am »

I apologize if this may have been answered before, I am/was unable to find a definitive answer to this question. Cave Crocodiles do not drop leather when slaughtered currently. I wish them to. How do i make this happen please? Hopefully without having to regen my current crocsplosion fort. Thank you for any information or advice.
"here's 7 inebriated borderline psychotic bastards, go dig out a living space for 200 of them that will be coming soon btw there's also a terrible tentacle monster-panda made out of barf to deal with have fun" -PsychicKid

Kadian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon (Semi-wild)
    • View Profile
Re: Adding leather to cave crocs?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:29:54 am »

Shouldn't crocodiles drop Scales? that would be the equivalent to raw hides.

In any case, if you want hides, you would need to change the raws. I quickly checked the cave crocodile raws on the Wikipedia and saw the following:

Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:SKIN]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:LEATHER]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]

You would need to delete the 'remove_material:leather' and the 'remove_material:skin' in order to get your raw cave crocodile hide you can then turn into cave crocodile leather.
Not a 100% sure on that though.

Also, you need to change the raws in your save folder. Every generated world has it's own raws ;) It should work with your savegame though.

Hamek McEisenfaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 11:19:51 am »

Shouldn't crocodiles drop Scales? that would be the equivalent to raw hides.
Doesn't everyone have a pair of croc skin boots? <grin> thats what im looking to implement in my fortress, redroot dyed cloth shirts <think Star Trek>, leather pants, GCS silk socks and croc skin boots for everyone..... its a dream man, a dream <grin> its either that, or find some kind of rattlesnake type critter and use its skin for boots....i just happen to have a metric shitton of cave crocs runnin around waitin to grow up
"here's 7 inebriated borderline psychotic bastards, go dig out a living space for 200 of them that will be coming soon btw there's also a terrible tentacle monster-panda made out of barf to deal with have fun" -PsychicKid

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 11:34:10 am »

Well simply removing the lines that got rid of skin and leather wouldn't work, since Crocs use SCALE in place of SKIN thus SCALE cannot be tanned unless you:

Leave in LEATHER (kill the REMOVE_MATERIAL:LEATHER)
and add this to the [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE] IN the Creature:

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER]

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 11:38:38 am »

Alternatively, add [ITEMS_SCALED] to the scale material template. That'll make it count as a shell, allowing you to make boots, helms, and gauntlets out of scale at the craftsdwarf's workshop.

Hamek McEisenfaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 11:42:02 am »

Well simply removing the lines that got rid of skin and leather wouldn't work, since Crocs use SCALE in place of SKIN thus SCALE cannot be tanned unless you:

Leave in LEATHER (kill the REMOVE_MATERIAL:LEATHER)
and add this to the [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE] IN the Creature:

My apologies sir. this snippet of code simply replaces the entry thats already in the savegame raws, is that not correct? I am unsure what you mean when you state 'Leave in Leather (kill the REMOVE_MATERIAL:LEATHER) line in your reply, it is already in there as far as i can see.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 11:44:51 am »

Sorry I was going for the "This is where you drop the material_reaction_product

now croc scales can be tanned to make croc leather

EDIT:
that is what it should look like

Hamek McEisenfaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 12:10:03 pm »

Testing now sir. Have to wait for the little bastards to grow up so i don't kill my only male, accidentally, of course. Thank you.

* tested and found i DONT have to wait for them to grow up. Hatchlings give it as well..... YAY! Many thanks to you and yours.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:23:21 pm by Hamek McEisenfaust »