Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scheduling help?  (Read 1250 times)

aleksix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Scheduling help?
« on: December 21, 2012, 12:29:28 pm »

This question may be rather stupid and nooby,but why don't my soldiers do anything from the schedule?I ordered some of them to stay at my entrance towers,but now nothing works!They don't even train!
Note:
-2 soldiers are stationed on one tower
-2 soldiers are stationed on another
-6 soldiers are training

Am I doing smth wrong?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scheduling help?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:39:47 pm »

Were they training before?
Are they set to active/train?
The stationed ones will not train of course because they have a different order.

aleksix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 12:46:44 pm »

Yes,they have been training until I gave them orders to station/train.
I use a custom alert for this.
I tried to station my marksdwarf squads there:first I tried to put them all using the minimal criteria,then I tried to station some of them by hand.Still nothing.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 03:07:59 pm »

You have actually set the squad to the alert you created, right?

Also, it's recommended that if you have 10 dwarves in a squad, only 8 of them have jobs assigned in the schedule, so 2 can be off on break rotation.

Only have all 10 alert and active for a special rallying type alert (like the one you put on for a siege you intend to fight, or suchlike). This is less relevant if they're champions, though, since champions love to patrol and fight and don't get tired of guard duty.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 06:30:46 pm »

Do you mean combat training or archery training? I'll assume you meant Archery.

Archery training is wonky. Here are the requirements as I know them:

1. Have archery targets set up at a range. Make each target its own archery range 'room.' If you only set one as a range, only that one will be used. Set each of the ranges to be used for training by your marksdwarf squad.
2. Have a separate barracks (defined from a weapon or armor stand, a cabinet, chest or bed) in the same room as the range. Set that barracks to be usable by the marksdwarves for Individual Equipment or Squad Equipment, but NOT "Training." Make sure the floor area of the defined barracks overlaps the floor area for the archery target ranges.
3. Now here's the confusing part: Whatever number of marksdwarves you want to train, give them NO orders under the schedule. In your case, your schedule orders should consist of two 2-dwarf Station orders and nothing else. If you give Marksdwarves the "Train" order and a barracks to train at, they'll just go beat each other over the heads with their crossbows; but without any barracks at all they won't do anything at all.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

aleksix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 09:34:37 pm »

Do you mean combat training or archery training? I'll assume you meant Archery.

Archery training is wonky. Here are the requirements as I know them:

1. Have archery targets set up at a range. Make each target its own archery range 'room.' If you only set one as a range, only that one will be used. Set each of the ranges to be used for training by your marksdwarf squad.
2. Have a separate barracks (defined from a weapon or armor stand, a cabinet, chest or bed) in the same room as the range. Set that barracks to be usable by the marksdwarves for Individual Equipment or Squad Equipment, but NOT "Training." Make sure the floor area of the defined barracks overlaps the floor area for the archery target ranges.
3. Now here's the confusing part: Whatever number of marksdwarves you want to train, give them NO orders under the schedule. In your case, your schedule orders should consist of two 2-dwarf Station orders and nothing else. If you give Marksdwarves the "Train" order and a barracks to train at, they'll just go beat each other over the heads with their crossbows; but without any barracks at all they won't do anything at all.

Nope,marksdwarf training was ok before scheduling.Guess I'll try to use my towers like sentries.

You have actually set the squad to the alert you created, right?

Also, it's recommended that if you have 10 dwarves in a squad, only 8 of them have jobs assigned in the schedule, so 2 can be off on break rotation.

Only have all 10 alert and active for a special rallying type alert (like the one you put on for a siege you intend to fight, or suchlike). This is less relevant if they're champions, though, since champions love to patrol and fight and don't get tired of guard duty.

Well,now 3 of them are off-duty.Nothing happens!They just hang out in their barracks with "Individual combat drill".

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 01:32:04 am »

Go the barracks and remove the Training option from that squad. Like I said, if you set the squad to train at a barracks, they'll practice melee-related attacks, not archery.

marksdwarf training was ok before scheduling.

As I said, marksdwarves only train archery when they have "no scheduled order." If you schedule them to "train" they will practice melee at a barracks. If you have ten marksdwarves and want four in the towers and six to train archery, set up your schedule so that it contains the two 2-dwarf Station orders (one for each tower) and no other orders, including training.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

aleksix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 09:18:48 am »

Well,I found out they don't want to obey any orders while not "Active/Training",so my special alert was useless.

Excuse me for wasting your time!