Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Office  (Read 2002 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Office
« on: December 16, 2007, 02:08:00 pm »

I need to create an office for my expedition leader.

So I built a wall outside with floors and a ceiling. Then I added a rock throne and made it a throne room and study. I assigned it to the proper dwarf. It still says he has no office. I don't get it.   :confused:

Did I miss something?

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Office
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

A table in front of the chair, hard to keep stock writing on your knees.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Anfold:
<STRONG>A table in front of the chair, hard to keep stock writing on your knees.</STRONG>

You don't need a table.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »

Ha. Well it turned out to be a silly mistake on my part.

I had two miners with the same first name and similar last names. I had assigned the table to the wrong one.   :roll:

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »

I stand corrected.  I suppose that since he doesn't need paper or books either he sits in the chair so that he can concentrate on keeping all those numbers in his head.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »

I assume he has a laptop computer and writes the numbers directly to the stock screen.

What?

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 03:01:00 am »

The Inca had that number system with the knots and the strings, which Wikipedia tells me is called a quipu.  Maybe the  brokers have one of those going in their beards.  That might explain how sitting in a chair gets you to legendary faster than any other job in the fort.
You'd have to be pretty legendary to keep track of thousand of pieces of loose stone using only your facial hair.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

RubberDuckofDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 03:11:00 am »

Nobles occasionally eat dinner inside their office, and sometimes (if important) meet people there.

In the interest of fairness, I give them a table and 2 chairs. Visitors, if entertained by a noble, will actually sit down in the chair when doing so.

Or at least one review of the game did say so, before the 3d version, as one of the anecdotes about how detailed the game is.

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 02:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Anfold:
<STRONG>I stand corrected.  I suppose that since he doesn't need paper or books either he sits in the chair so that he can concentrate on keeping all those numbers in his head.</STRONG>

The actually carve into their flesh.  That's how they get so tough

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 03:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by termitehead:
<STRONG>

The actually carve into their flesh.  That's how they get so tough</STRONG>

Or they just pick up a random rock and carve the numbers into the stone with their finger nails. That's how they become so strong.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 05:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JoRo:
<STRONG>The Inca had that number system with the knots and the strings, which Wikipedia tells me is called a quipu.  Maybe the  brokers have one of those going in their beards.  That might explain how sitting in a chair gets you to legendary faster than any other job in the fort.
You'd have to be pretty legendary to keep track of thousand of pieces of loose stone using only your facial hair.</STRONG>

You have captured the essence of humor. That is hilarious. You have certainly earned this:   :D

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.