Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: re stack bolts?  (Read 3694 times)

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
re stack bolts?
« on: March 07, 2012, 05:24:29 am »

after setting up a passable non bolt wasting archery range i have this situation where i get tons of 1 bolt stacks, of course marksdwarves equip them, fire, then abandon position to grab another one :<

any solution besides destroying/selling single bolts? does melting single bolts return any metal?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: re stack bolts?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:57 am »

If nothing's changed since DF2010, one bolt melts down for 0.3 a bar of the metal it's made of. Quite exploitable.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:29:44 am »

after setting up a passable non bolt wasting archery range i have this situation where i get tons of 1 bolt stacks, of course marksdwarves equip them, fire, then abandon position to grab another one :<

any solution besides destroying/selling single bolts? does melting single bolts return any metal?

What is a non bolt wasting archery range?

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 05:34:18 am »

If nothing's changed since DF2010, one bolt melts down for 0.3 a bar of the metal it's made of. Quite exploitable.
According to the wiki, a stack of # bolts or arrows melts down to #/100 bars of metal, rounded up to nearest 1/10th. A stack of 25 would produce 0.3 bars.

That also read on the DF2010 section, so I don't know if it's somehow inaccurate.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 05:46:49 am »

I think one of the main points of a non bolt wasting archery range is to then melt down individual bolts, resulting in an overall gain in metal.

A while ago, dwarves would only hold a single stack of bolts in their quiver, even if it was a stack of 1 (yes i realise that's not technically a stack), but this is now fixed, and dwarves can and will collect more bolts to add to their quiver. So having single bolts in there isn't a huge deal, though still possibly not ideal, considering how long it takes to collect a full quiver of single bolts... for me the bigger problem is when they run around a dangerous battlefield collecting single bolts, instead of training safely back at home.