Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trader spawn  (Read 1604 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Trader spawn
« on: December 16, 2007, 04:48:00 am »

where do the dwarven traders spawn ?

can they spawn everywhere, or just in areas that has access to the depot (ie, no cliffs or rivers in their way)

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trader spawn
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:52:00 pm »

absolutely anywhere. Only humans need roads.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 01:53:00 am »

humans don't actually need (or use, really) roads anymore.

as far as I can tell, traders always spawn from the same side - well, humans and dwarves might spawn from different sides, but dwarves will always spawn from the one they first did. Where along the side, however, seems to be random.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 04:56:00 am »

Humans tend to use the road if you have built it, in my experience. At least, the humans who showed up at one point on my map left the fortress via my newly built road rather than returning the way they came.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 04:58:00 am »

Dwarf traders still say that humans need road...dwarfs need to research humans more.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 07:25:00 am »

I had some human traders appear on my map, but it gave me a message like "The traders pass you by 'cuase you're too freakin lazy to build a road" or something. But then they marched right up to my depot and unloaded an astounding quantity of absoluteley nothing. Bug?
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Salkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 07:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Reasonableman:
<STRONG>I had some human traders appear on my map, but it gave me a message like "The traders pass you by 'cuase you're too freakin lazy to build a road" or something. But then they marched right up to my depot and unloaded an astounding quantity of absoluteley nothing. Bug?</STRONG>

The message means the human _wagons_ passed you by. (I think that's also what it says, though I don't recall the precise wording.) They will still send mules in, since mules don't have the strict accessibility requirements wagons have. (I hope there will never be a noble who mandates for your fortress to be accessible to the disabled...)

Strange if they unloaded nothing at all, though. Might be a bug.

alkin, Unix Geek<BR>Salkin has been fine lately. He has complained of the lack of time lately. He admired a fine apple cider lately. He was irritated by the sun lately.<BR>He has been satisfied at work lately. He ate a truly decadent dish lately.<BR>Salki

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 09:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Salkin:
Strange if they unloaded nothing at all, though. Might be a bug.

Yep, it's a bug: http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=002376

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 04:26:00 pm »

The dwarves and humans dont aways spawn at the same place. I had them all spawn at the same place for the first 4 years on my present map. But then in year 5 they both spawned in new places. Makes my road completely useless. The wagons made it to my depot, only because the map is flat, and I have clearcut the trees from the entire area.
ho watches those that watch us???