Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege/Military/Magma/Etc Questions  (Read 1274 times)

Vitzh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Siege/Military/Magma/Etc Questions
« on: November 07, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »

I have just started playing this game, and have finally managed to get my dwarf population above 50.  This seems to cause all sorts of further issues, like dragons, colossus's, and sieges.

How do you normally protect yourself against a dragon or a colossus?  Everything I have tried so far has only lead to utter failure.

The wiki says the siege feature is currently broken, and my current siege just sits on the edge of the map.  How do you command your military to go fight the siege?  The guard just tend to lay about the fort, and I have to deactivate them from being guard to try to form a unit with them.  I tried forming a unit and setting a patrol point next to the siege but this casues dwarves to wander out there one at a time to get killed by goblins, and set off a death chain as more dwarves went out to pick up their items.  Also the siege causes a massive drop in FPS, and the game started randomly freezing up for a few seconds.  Is this normal?

Is there any way to command your dwarves to attack something like an elf caravan?  To see what would happen I built my trade depot underground and drowned the elf that came to trade.  The dwarves wouldnt loot the items left behind.

Finally, how do you find magma on the map?  I have tried to build my forts with access to a river so I have a renewable water supply and trees.  Finding anywhere with a river, trees, and magma has been impossible so far.

Thanks for any help!

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siege/Military/Magma/Etc Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 01:27:00 pm »

I don't know that you should be getting attacked by dragons or colossi(?) at population 50, seems a bit harsh. You just need a well-trained military I guess.
To order a squad, select it with x (might want to lock on it if you have multiple squads), then hit s wherever to Station the squad there. If the squad is set to On duty, which you can change with [m]ilitary -> [v]iew squad, they will go to patrol points or to stationed points.
Might have to delete any patrol routes you have up before they get going though.

The FPS and freezing issues aren't normal, but I can't really help you there..

Direct "friendly fire" is completely forbidden by the game, so you can't directly attack something that isn't hostile (or a wild animal). Dunno why they wouldn't take the loot, maybe it still registers as being owned by the merchant? How long have you waited after his death?

Magma is common near volcanoes, water and trees aren't. Unless you got lucky with a world, you might be forced to choose. Of course, with forested areas and being able to order trees from the caravans, magma might not be needed...
Although I dunno, haven't really dug to the bottom of any area yet, perhaps there's magma somewhere down there.

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 06:06:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure that magma is only around volcanoes, with a bit around Pits too.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

You can find magma anywhere. When looking for a correct location to build a fort look for a dark red double wave. This indicates an "open" magma vent. They can appear anywhere. I have found most of them in the middle of the forest, plains or somewhere else away from mountains. Volcanoes will always have an open magma vent and do not need to be in mountains. They also increase the chance of there being magma around them.

heathkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 07:38:00 pm »

This is a complete guess, but I'm guessing the trader's goods are "forbidden".  I think this is indicated with the name being in parens.  If you look at the items with 'k', you should be able to hit 'r' and reclaim them.