Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Defeating the Bronze Collosus  (Read 1841 times)

Temrek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Defeating the Bronze Collosus
« on: November 07, 2007, 11:07:00 am »

This is the second time I build a successful fortress and this guy shows up and destroys everything. It seems to heal itself and not even my entire population (some of them actually armed, and some actually has combat training!) seem to be able to put it down. Do I need to focus more on having a capable army in the future?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Defeating the Bronze Collosus
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 11:21:00 am »

Its pretty much the strongest monster in the game! You need a dozen or more Dwarves with good quality weapons to slowly bash out its legs and arms and eventually behead or bisect it with a lucky blow. Bolts are pretty much useless, as it has no organs-and it never tires or bleeds so you cant wear it down. Good luck!

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: Dwarmin ]

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 11:36:00 am »

One cage trap should do him in.  Then you have a nice decoration.

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 12:21:00 pm »

You could also do that lol.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 02:06:00 pm »

You could always build a special "colossus trap". Carve out a special passageway you can seal off remotely, via raising bridges or some other method, and get some expendable schmuck to lure the colossus in and quickly pull the lever to seal him in. Then carve fortifications overlooking the trapped colossus and send your marksdwarves in for the ultimate in target practice. (Note: Make sure you've got about 500 bolts on hand, unless you've got a lot of champion marksdwarves.)

Alternately, you could just dig a really deep pit underneath and collapse the platform you've lured the colossus to, but that's much less interesting.

In the old version half a dozen elite melee dwarves with high quality steel equipment would do the trick with relatively little risk, but it sounds like colossi appear a lot earlier in the game this time around.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 03:56:00 pm »

If you have legendary miners around they're your best bet.  Highly skilled axemen are good too.  Just make sure the dwarves you send against those things have insane stats, otherwise they won't last very long.

Oh and a bit of armor would help them last a bit longer, but not much.  Don't bother with it if your dwarves aren't skilled in armor since it will only slow them down.

Durnheist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 08:16:00 pm »

I think drawbridges can still smash them into oblivion too but I haven't tested it.

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: Durnheist ]

Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 08:27:00 pm »

Trap it in an oubliette. Then you could send goblins, small animals, and insane dwarfs down to meet the colossus.