Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Issues with Beekeeping  (Read 980 times)

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
Issues with Beekeeping
« on: January 07, 2012, 03:49:48 pm »

So I'm having a slight issue with bee keeping and just before I get flooded with people talking about the exact same bug. I have one dwarf. He is a beekeeper. That is his only job. I do not allow pressing or beekeeping on any other dwarf. In past forts I have managed to get a pretty decent operation going without any difficulties. But this fort just doesn't seem to be co-operating.

So the issue is thus. I am getting spammed by this one message "Urist McDwarf, Beekeeper cancels collect hive products: Job item lost or destroyed." Is there something I'm missing on what. I have about 10 hives going right now that all need to be either split or collected. For right now I turned off the beekeeping job on that dwarf and have left the presser job on. So any insights on what might be going on.
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with Beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 04:47:09 pm »

Did you ever at any time, have more than this one dwarf with the beekeeping labor? Because I've experienced problems when there's more than one.

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 05:36:15 pm »

Did you ever at any time, have more than this one dwarf with the beekeeping labor? Because I've experienced problems when there's more than one.

There were a few migrants that came in with that skill set turned on. But since soon as migrants arrive on map I immediately give them therapy. So if there was one with that skill set turned on it wasn't turned on for too long.
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 06:30:42 pm »

I would try deconstrucying the hives and rebuilding them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 08:01:20 pm »

The hives have to be adjacent to a tile connected to the surface, if that helps.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:35:57 am »

The hives have to be adjacent to a tile connected to the surface, if that helps.
Is this really true? Because I have no issues building hives far underground. It says "no outside access", but they seem to function just fine :/

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 06:45:27 pm »

Gives bees some penalties if they can't reach the outside, though given their buggy state not much science has been done

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 07:18:46 pm »

Beekeeping has a known bug, haha. It happens when you build more than one hive before the last is filled. Basically, both hives can generate a job to grab bees from the same wild colony. Only the first succeeds, but the other hive doesn't reset to grab from another colony or full hive. Look at the hives to determine which are empty, deconstruct those, rebuild and fill one at a time.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 07:25:17 pm »

The advice pertains to an older version of DF, but perhaps you might find this helpful:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85745.msg2314474#msg2314474
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.