Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: companion interactions  (Read 873 times)

Felgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
companion interactions
« on: February 18, 2012, 07:50:44 pm »

This is the first time I've really ever tried the adventure side of Dwarf Fortress (having a blast, thanks Toady), so forgive me if this is an obvious question. Is there any way to give a companion new/different equipment? Seems kind of silly to hire bowmen and crossbowmen as they are useless once their ammo dries up.

Also is there any way to merge equipment items in your own inventory? After killing and butchering a bunch of wolves, I’ve got pages and pages of wolf parts in the inventory lists. It would be nice if all like named items that could/can stack auto stacked when you grabbed them off the ground.

blah_1123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: companion interactions
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:55:32 pm »

1. Not to my knowledge, I dont believe their ammo ever dries up so don't worry.
2. Not to my knowledge.
I reccomend letting him go nuts, though.  If he goes berserk, free target practice for your military!  If he doesn't, raving naked bedridden dwarf!

roflgar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lethargy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 08:06:36 pm »

their ammo runs out. just like bandits.

look in their quivers.
NatureLabor:  largest concentration of elf-loving dwarves and a few dwarfs trying to beat that out of them.
-TerrisH

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 08:13:32 pm »

This is the first time I've really ever tried the adventure side of Dwarf Fortress (having a blast, thanks Toady), so forgive me if this is an obvious question. Is there any way to give a companion new/different equipment? Seems kind of silly to hire bowmen and crossbowmen as they are useless once their ammo dries up.

Also is there any way to merge equipment items in your own inventory? After killing and butchering a bunch of wolves, I’ve got pages and pages of wolf parts in the inventory lists. It would be nice if all like named items that could/can stack auto stacked when you grabbed them off the ground.

Once DFHack gets updated, you can use it to switch into their bodies and manage their equipment.  Some people don't like using hacks, but companions are pretty terrible without the ability to equip new items.