Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Combat and Killing - tactics and techniques  (Read 6029 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Combat and Killing - tactics and techniques
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 04:31:22 am »

don't forget the heart in the upper body.

I've found no difference in the effects o targeting upper/lower arms/legs and hands or feet, except that hands seem easier to sever, so I usually just take the one with the best hit chance/damage ratio
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ascimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 07:47:22 am »

Legendary wrestler, fighter and dodger (thrower would be nice too). Grab weapon, disarm, throw, proceed with strangling/pinching the throat.
Also, if the enemy is alone, it is fun to rip his fingers off (or even whole hands).
There is a finely-engraved image of Ascimator on the wall. Ascimator is slapping himself in the face. The artwork relates to the loss of the only anvil in Perplextombs in the late winter of 6.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 07:58:41 am »

Playing a human outsider, I invested points into knife fighting, and after I laid my hands on a high quality silver boning knife

Oof. Silver is the worst material for edged weapons. Great for blunt, bad for everything else. Get yourself the next non-silver knife you can get. Quality doesn't effect a weapon's performance unless it's masterful quality.

I, too, have been playing an outsider. I went with a spear, though. Recruited a spearman in the first village. Sadly, he didn't survive his first river crossing. On the plus side, that gave me a set of clothes and a better shield and spear.

I was chased by bogeymen to the nearest town, where I found a lycanthrope's lair. Naked child. Killed with a quick spear thrust to the face. After that I felt confident. Recruited some men in the keep, grabbed some armor, and delved into the dungeons to root out the dwarves and elves living there. Lost both of my recruits and suffered minor wounds in an epic battle against about 20 of the bastards. The leader clearly outclassed me, but had made the mistake of bringing a silver battle axe to the party.

Friends don't let friends roll with silver blades.

Anyway, advice that hasn't been covered yet: once archers are out of the picture (because archers are priority #1), you want to always keep distance on your opponents. Let them come to you one at a time. They waste a turn moving, and you get to strike. When their friends are in range to hit you, move away; never let yourself get surrounded.

Barring lucky opportunities for the head, I always go for arms and legs. One good wound on each limb. If I can't wound a new limb, then I go for the upper and lower body.

I did not the knife for the cutting, but for the pommel strikes. Incidentally, silver is terrible for blades, but best for blunt - and it showed. It was more like a little hammer with a blade attached as a bonus.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 08:05:07 am »

Picks? In my brain?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 02:06:57 pm »

Depends on the situation and the name of my witch/witcher

Solo-weak enemy, I drop my weapon and grab/pinch tail, leg, arm, etc... before I bite its throat.  A good way to power-level is to grab a weak creature by its teeth and macro it to pinch/takedown while you eat or read a book until you are tired/gets dark.

Solo-melee enemy, strangle, take out limps, have fun breaking stuff with blunt weapon until enemy dies

Horde-melee, walk back, attack leg, repeat until most are crippled, proceed to bolt/throw/hack limps til they all die

Bowman, eh.. still working on that, running between trees/obstacle helps though

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 02:10:27 pm »

I usually aim my first strike at their arms/legs, to either make them drop their weapon or fall down. After that, I usually just go stabby stabby stabby until they die. Add extra steps of taking off all their hands/feet if it's a bandit leader or otherwise dangerous target.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 02:36:27 pm »

ah yes, ofcourse, if the target isn't too dangerous I proceed with cutting off nose, ears, toes and fingers. They usually bleed out before I need to do a killing blow
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 [2]