Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Had an idea for a mod, and would like some input.  (Read 954 times)

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Had an idea for a mod, and would like some input.
« on: February 18, 2012, 01:44:09 am »

I've had this idea for a while now, but before the update it was impossible.

The concept is that you play fortress mode, but not with dwarves.  Instead, you'd play as fungus people who have to create their own race from scratch.  I worked out how the creation would function, and it works pretty well.  The fungus people would embark with an intelligent race which is also a pet.  This race worships the fungus people and are used as vessels for the creation of new fungus people.  The process by which new fungus people are produced includes growing a special plant, and mixing it with a few other things to create a liquid culture.  The culture is then fed to one of the fungus worshipers.  The culture includes a syndrome which causes a permanent transformation into a fungus person.

There a few problems I can see, and I'd love to have some input on what might be the best way to solve them.

1. If I have a playable civilization with no genders, can I embark with it even though the civilization will be dead? If so, will there be any migrants?
2. According to my testing, the transformed fungus cannot be appointed to noble positions.  I don't know if there's a way for the transformation to remove [PET], as I believe that's the issue. 
3. Preventing the fungus people from drinking the culture themselves might be difficult.  The easiest solution that I can think of is to make the culture a solid edible plant and make fungus people carnivores.  I'd like to avoid that if I can, though.

Finally, I'd like some help conceptually.  I have no idea what kind of creature would worship fungus people, or what even to call the fungus people.  I might go with Myconids, but I think that's ripped off from D&D.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:07:37 am by Master Catfish »

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: I've had an idea for a mod, and would like some input.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 03:02:05 am »

myconid is derived from myco and as long as your fungus aren't the same as d&d's I don't see why you can't do the same in fact another game has mycons.  I would recomend the names mycota and mycotina.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Had an idea for a mod, and would like some input.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 06:19:03 am »

1. Add [CASTE:MALE] and [CASTE:FEMALE], [SELECT_CASTE:MALE] and [SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:FEMALE] then [POP_RATIO:0]. They will now breed in worldgen.

2. In your testing, could the turned pets do all jobs? Not just fishing and hunting?
You might want to try using the 'remove tag' token seen in the undead example interaction to remove the [PET] token.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 06:25:25 am »

Unfortunately, CE_REMOVE_TAG only has a few tags compatible with it, and PET is not one of them.

Toady wrote in the changelogs that he'll release more tags as needed.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 08:07:52 am »

For the noble position issue, [CE_REMOVE_TAG:PET] (or something like that) should work. (sorry, didnt look at other comments)
Looks like a good idea, i dont know too much about modding myself tough.
but the first two migrant waves are hardcoded, you always get them. (not sure for alternate civs but...)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:09:40 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 11:23:36 am »

Mycota it is! That's a great name.  Thanks Courtesy Arloban!

1. Add [CASTE:MALE] and [CASTE:FEMALE], [SELECT_CASTE:MALE] and [SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:FEMALE] then [POP_RATIO:0]. They will now breed in worldgen.

2. In your testing, could the turned pets do all jobs? Not just fishing and hunting?
You might want to try using the 'remove tag' token seen in the undead example interaction to remove the [PET] token.
1. My hope is actually not to get migrants; I'd like for all of the Mycota to be produced in the fort.  I wonder if the first two waves will still come even if a civ is dead? Since they all seem to be real historical figures now.
2. Yes, the turned pets could do all jobs.  Though, without [INTELLIGENT] to start with, they couldn't gain skills.  If they were pastured it was a little weird until they were removed from the pasture (they showed up in both animal and citizens, and were butcherable). 

Thanks for the replies everyone!