Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf won't build bridge.  (Read 7065 times)

Cobra Sting

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf won't build bridge.
« on: February 18, 2012, 08:13:39 pm »

So following a tutorial, I added a bridge to the entrance of my base. The text says it needs an Architect. I knew I had one, but he didn't come to work on it. I looked in Dwarf Therapist, and indeed he was there, but he wasn't working. I disabled every skill for him but Architect, but he's just idleing around. Why won't he build the bridge?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf won't build bridge.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 08:18:37 pm »

Can the architect reach the bridge and the materials the bridge is set to be made from? Is the architecture labor actually active on him (probably, if you went through Therapist, but it's best to ask)? Also, is the architect idle, or on break? On break means they won't do any jobs except eating, drinking, and sleeping.

Another possibility is that he's already done the work; buildings that require architecture are built in two stages. First, the architect brings the materials to the bridge and stares at it a bit to design it. Once that's done, a dwarf with the appropriate labor to build things of the material the bridge is made from (the same dwarf or a different one) comes by and actually builds the bridge. Check if the bridge has been designed or not - if it has, it won't say it needs architecture anymore.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Cobra Sting

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 08:41:54 pm »

I'm sure of all of this. I took some screenshots, if that might help.

So Deduk is the one I'm trying to get to build the bridge.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:43:26 pm by Cobra Sting »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:17:02 pm »

Well, he obviously isn't idle, because you have 0 idlers. So, either your architect happened to be eating, drinking, or sleeping when you took that top screenshot, or he's on break. Otherwise, I see no particular problems... It's unlikely that the stones you set the bridge to be made out of are outside, and it looks like everything is accessible. I suppose that whatever that workshop north of the trade depot is might block access, but in vanilla DF the only shop that would block there would be the bowyer's, and that looks nothing like a bowyer's shop.

Try turning architecture on for everyone else. Sometimes dwarves just won't recognize jobs for some reason. Also, depending on how long you've been waiting, your architect might just be procrastinating; personality traits do affect dwarven behavior, and some are prone to taking ages to do anything.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!