Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: embarking on a named mountain top  (Read 1784 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
embarking on a named mountain top
« on: December 15, 2007, 11:39:00 am »

usually they are unreachable, because there is no wagon access, however I have been lucky

this particular mountain is located right next to a huge lake, and has a small strip of heavily forested biome in front of it

I am sure that such a mountain would be an awesome place to build on, however I have heared that biomes that are marked as ungodly high (the masterpiece quality symbol) have no trees, even when marked as heavily forested, and have no soil, eventho a layer of sand is shown

is that true ?

and even if it is, should I take the risk of not having enough beds )and possibly food) for an awesome location ?

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: embarking on a named mountain top
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 11:40:00 am »

I don't know much, but I'm guessing if you dig down and out below the treeline you should get some trees, and if you find an aquifier anywhere it should give you some soil.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 11:43:00 am »

no aquifer, and the entire local map is shown as [masterpiece quality smybol] height (even the heavily forested biome)

I tried to send an adventurer to scout, but he was killed by a giant desert scorpion befiore even reaching the lake[which i am not sure i can cross)

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »

Well, if you do the math a steel battle axe used to chop trees down is 300 points, a log is 3.  If you remove the two axes that is 200 logs.  Now assuming you don't make thous into barrels, bins or you made your pop cap higher, that can make 200 beds and that is the most you will ever need.  If you do make them into things other than beds, you can easily get the humans (If they can reach you) to bring you tons of logs each year.

Thats how I would have survived my dessert/cliff face fort, if we hadn't found the demon pit before the adamantium.

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: Shooer ]

Ltheb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »

Any chance you have the map seed?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

no human access, only dwarves

but they can trade logs as well, right ?

also

[TITLE:STANDARD]
   [SEED:347431684]

the place you are searching for is on the far west of the map
a sinister lake (brown red tiles), surrounded by mountains
in the north of the lake are a few brooks, a forest and the mountain top

edit: i visited the site as adventurer

it has skeletal carp
and zombie hippoes

... I suddenly feel discouraged

this is gonna be hard work

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: Akroma ]

Balsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »

Oh man,I have to play here.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »

If I wasn't making a 50x50 tower/city in the mountaintops, I would take your spot in a heartbeat.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.