Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sewers in towns  (Read 1097 times)

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tales from the Fortress
Sewers in towns
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:57:14 am »

So, I'm at what I think is the sewer entrance, in the middle of the fort in a town. There is a hatch on the floor and I just can't open it.
Anyone know how?

Also there is a set of stairs that I cannot climb, no matter what direction I attempt to go up it from.
I'm quite confused...
Tales from the Fortress is my website dedicated to archiving stories from the world of dwarf fortress.

Now updated to include a DF2014 section!

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sewers in towns
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:00:22 am »

You need to go near the entrance of the town keep.

In travel mode, you can see what is in the general area, seach for "Sewer entrance".

Then, return to the normal map and find stairs that are by the road.
They lead to the sewer and are, to my knowledge, the unique entrance.

Be careful, the zone near the entrance tends to lag a lot for some of us, even with medium-high end computers, but that doesn't seem to be the case for everyone.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 10:06:40 am »

If you cant open it, there could be somebody underneath it.
press s to lay down then try again.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:07:06 am »

Well I've got this thing just to the north. Which has the hatch I can't open.
I've looked around more and can't find a sewer entrance anywhere. Maybe they don't have one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I went back, dwarf bowman and elf maceman suddenly there. Recruit them. Lie down and try to enter. Nothing.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 10:09:50 am by Lockyy »
Tales from the Fortress is my website dedicated to archiving stories from the world of dwarf fortress.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 10:09:38 am »

In the middle of the fort in the middle of town you are likely finding the entrance to an entirely different sort of underground. I believe these are the CRYPTS that get talked about in the devlog. From what I undersand there are crypts, sewers, and one other sort I can't recall. At any rate, in the crypt (or whatever it was) it you will find loot and kobolds and bandits and things.
The sewers are something else entirely. For one, they follow a logical pattern. For another, mine are completely empty.

If there is a hatch, you SHOULD just be able to go down it by the same method you normally go down stairs. the ">" key. (usually "shift"+".") Sometimes you can't go UP through a hatch if an enemy is standing on it. The bastards.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 10:10:45 am »

In the middle of the fort in the middle of town you are likely finding the entrance to an entirely different sort of underground. I believe these are the CRYPTS that get talked about in the devlog. From what I undersand there are crypts, sewers, and one other sort I can't recall. At any rate, in the crypt (or whatever it was) it you will find loot and kobolds and bandits and things.
The sewers are something else entirely. For one, they follow a logical pattern. For another, mine are completely empty.

If there is a hatch, you SHOULD just be able to go down it by the same method you normally go down stairs. the ">" key. (usually "shift"+".") Sometimes you can't go UP through a hatch if an enemy is standing on it. The bastards.

That was it! > did it.
Thanks a tonne.

Edit: Statues of forgotten beasts everywhere.

Oh god why.

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:33:15 am »

Incase anyone is still reading.
I've lost my leg. Where would I go to get a crutch?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 11:38:09 am »

Look for a carpenters shop or something.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 12:05:59 pm »

Incase anyone is still reading.
I've lost my leg. Where would I go to get a crutch?

The only crutch I've found so far was in the personal treasure trove of a warlord's castle in the middle of the wilderness.
I haven't found a single general store so far in this version, which is where they used to be found. Basically my advice to you is to find as many treasure troves of whatever sort, and hope a shiny crutch caught someone's eye.

EDIT: and on the topic of sewers, has anyone found anything in them? All I find are dead animal men (The poor underclass that they are).
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]