Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sand collection cancelled?  (Read 6628 times)

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sand collection cancelled?
« on: November 06, 2007, 01:49:00 pm »

Ok, I've made a zone, it says sand collection (9), it is active, and it is reachable. I order the sand collection at the glass furnace, but I get the message that "sand collection cancelled: needs valid, active sand collection zone."

I've tried several zones on several levels, all sand floors. I've tried zoning outdoors as well. I have bags free too, but if that was the issue, then I should've gotten a message more like "no bags", shouldn't I?

What more could it be? I wanna collect some sand....  :(

Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
Re: Sand collection cancelled?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 02:03:00 pm »

Be sure to press on your zone, to turn on sand collection.

If that doesn't work, sounds like a bug of some kind.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 02:07:00 pm »

Yeah, i forgot to mention that. I did press 's', so the zone shows that "sand collection" is highlighted. "Active" is also highlighted. The glass furnace is also reachable.

I'm in a human town btw. Maybe that interferes with the sand collection in some way? I'll try collecting some ways outside the town. Shot in the dark but oh well..

Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:33:00 pm »

Sorry for the revive, exact same problem. Human town, both underground and overground sand collection zones but neither get recognized. Has anyone found a solution to this in the intervening time?

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 06:13:00 am »

When making the sand collection zone, it shows how many valid spaces are available in the zone you are making. If it says "sand collection (0)", then you aren't selecting a zone that actually has sand in it. Note that stuff like (iirc) sandy loam don't actually allow sand collection.

If that is the problem, either search for some valid and in your map (not always available) or mod the soil layer you have to contain sand.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 06:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by uberubert:
<STRONG>it says sand collection (9)</STRONG>
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 08:12:00 am »

Just because the OP said that, doesn't necessarily mean that Some Internet Guy checked for sand collection (9).
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 08:37:00 am »

Yeah, it's showing sand collection spaces. It's normal, black sand, which I figured was some special useless kinda sand until I noticed in the wiki entry it's just like any other.

TheSilverHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 10:14:00 am »

Do you have available bags?  You need bags to collect sand.  If you have 1 bag, the moment it is filled with sand, any sand collection tasks are canceled because there are no more bags.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 04:44:00 am »

Also, be aware that sand collection spaces can disappear.  A lot of sand ends up growing grass on top of it, and it's only through dwarven paths that the grass gets trampled into sand.  A valid sand collection zone can disappear.  Does the zone currently say it contains 8 valid sand squares?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Narceh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »

I have exactly the same problem described by two others in this post - lots of sand around, sand collection zone set up properly, but collect sand orders are always cancelled with "need valid, active sand collection zone".

AND I, too, share a map with a human town, as with both others. I don't know about you, but I see a certain pattern here.

Edit: Actually, this makes me think if there's a bigger problem with zones when the fortress is in a human town (possibly other civilizations as well), as throughout this fortress I've been wondering why dwarves ignore garbage dumps and dump orders - not a single item has been hauled to a dump during the four years my current fortress has been operational, and trust me, quite a few have been marked for dumping.

Ponds and meeting areas seem to work, though.

I made a post in bug reports.

[ February 02, 2008: Message edited by: Narceh ]

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »

Do you have Bags to collect the sand in?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Narceh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

Obviously. Dwarves cancel the job after they pick up a bag. They check for sand collection zones after that.