Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarves wonīt make animal traps.  (Read 1657 times)

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarves wonīt make animal traps.
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:49:38 pm »

I have the following:

- carpenter workshop
- enough wood
- a ranger with trapping skill

Yet when I order to produce animal traps, nothing happens. According to the wiki the trapper should use the workshop to make the traps, right? So what am I doing wrong? I thought maybe I need cages first and built a couple, but still nothing happens. When I look at the job list the trapper is listed with "no job" all the time.

Version 0.34.01 for Windows, by the way.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: My dwarves wonīt make animal traps.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:57:29 pm »

Simple things you've probably already checked:

Can the dwarf with the Trapping skill reach the wood and the carpenter's workshop?  There are no locked doors or broken ramps or stairs blocking pathing?

Is he assigned to a burrow?

Does the workshop have a profile set preventing him from using it?

Is either the wood or the material the workshop is made from forbidden?

Are you really sure he has the Trapping skill enabled?  Maybe try enabling the skill on another dwarf to see if it's just something about him.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:00:10 pm »

Checked all the stuff you mentioned, he has access to the wood, is permitted to the workshop and not doing anything else currently.

How would I go about enabling the trapping skill? I didnīt disable it to begin with...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:06:40 pm »

Select the dwarf with the cursor mode that lets you examine creatures.  Press 'l' to see his Labor screen.  Navigate to the Hunting sub-labor menu, select that, then check to see if the Trapping skill is enabled.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 01:23:19 pm »

Hmm, it is/was enabled. And in fact, while I was typing that post here, he suddenly started creating a couple of traps. But I have no idea why it took him like half an hour before starting that task. Maybe because he was hauling stuff or whatever.

Anyways, thanks for your fast answer.