Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wiki and ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC  (Read 1955 times)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wiki and ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC
« on: February 17, 2012, 10:08:36 pm »

I'm working on a creature's attack, and was trying to figure out what exactly ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC (and also ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC) does.  The wiki says it's either the chance for the attack to hit, or the percentage of the body part that makes contact.

I need to know which it is, and if it's the latter how it affects the attack.

EDIT:  I should check the creature raws more often.  It's obviously the latter one.  But I still don't know how it affects things.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:18:52 pm by Drawde »

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki and ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:27:07 pm »

I assume it's for things like horns and tusks; instead of hitting with the whole thing, a creature could stab with the point. So a smaller contact area with high penetration would be like a unicorn horn/spear, and a large contact area with low penetration would be like a ram's horns/hammer. 

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki and ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:44:42 pm »

From what I can tell, looking at the weapon and creature raws, that's pretty much it.

I'm assuming it's similar to the weapon useage.  CONTACT is for blunt attacks, though edged attacks use it as well.  If it's like the weapon raws, the lower the number the less spread out the attack is when it hits.  Warhammers have less area than a mace, and thus deliver more force to the point of impact.

PENETRATION is for edged weapons, and is ignored by blunt attacks.  The higher the number the further in it goes.  Slashing weapons have high contact/low penetration, and piercing weapons have low contact/high penetrations.

Though the numbers are different for creatures than for weapons.  It looks like creatures goes up to 100.  Unicorn horns are 5 contact, 100 penetration.  A ram's horns is a blunt attack, simply 100 contact.

I figured this out by looking in the raws after posting this, though I don't know exactly what the numbers mean.  But there's no option to deleting a post, so it's still here.  I really need to look better before posting   :P