Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming giant spider silk.  (Read 1902 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Farming giant spider silk.
« on: December 14, 2007, 01:34:00 pm »

I have a giant cave spider is there any way I can harvest the silk and keep my dwarves safe (hopefully so I dont kill the spider)
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
Re: Farming giant spider silk.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 02:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by thatguyyaknow:
<STRONG>I have a giant cave spider is there any way I can harvest the silk and keep my dwarves safe (hopefully so I dont kill the spider)</STRONG>

Is it tame? If so I have no clue. If not then try this:

code:

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓__▓....
▓._▓....
▓S_┼.☻..
▓._▓....
▓__▓....
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

When the door is open up the spider will attack the dwarf. The channel will stop the spider and the dwarf will be sprayed with web. Close the door to stop the attack and harvest the silk. Note: The web may clog up the door. To prevent this you could use a 1 tile drawbridge.

[EDIT]
Wait did you capture one or is it sitting int he chasm. If you captured it then explain how. If it is sitting in the chasm then you don't have a hope.

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: THLawrence ]

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »

Capturing a cave spider? That's insane enough to work.
Suppose I placed a cage trap in a corridor, and stationed a bait dwarf behind it, would the giant cave spider web the bait and run straight into the trap? Would it be tameable by a dungeon master?

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

It's wandering around outside the chasm, I figured I could cage trap it then, set it free by having it moved from one cage to another.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »

once a cave spider was caught when it chased after a dwarf and hit a cage trap

sadly I couldn't think of a good way of using it, so i tried to sell it to the caravan

that's how I learned that selling wild animals doesn't work the way you want it....

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Xort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 04:34:00 pm »

I managed to capture a giant cave spider in a cage trap. I then placed the cage trap in a room surrounded by fortifications with a lever controled door leading to a back room. When my dwaves walked into the room it shot web at them through the fortifications. (I let it out of the cage) After a while my dwarfs would break free and run off. I'd then open the lever door and wait for the spider to cross into the back room. I had linked the back room to a very long hall way that lead outside. When I opened the doors in the hall way it would try and walk out, I then shut all the doors trapping it far enough away so as not to scare my dwarfs. Leaving a massive amount of web to harvest.

A very large area is covered in web so make sure your collection room is huge.

I was thinking about adding pressure plates to the hall to close doors and automaticly retrap it, but never got around to it. Also I need to see if the spider goes into ambush mode and doesn't scare my dwarfs off, because then I could use doors around the fortifications to act as 'viewing windows' opening and closing to let the spider attack and the block it tricking it to going back into ambush mode that doesn't scare my dwarfs off.