Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can dwarves die of old age?  (Read 2413 times)

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
Can dwarves die of old age?
« on: December 14, 2007, 04:22:00 am »

Just what the title says. I know they have an age limit in the raws, but I don't know if it works in fortress mode. Anyone ever had an old age death?
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can dwarves die of old age?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 05:17:00 am »

Animals and pets can reach an old age death, so it's likely a dwarf will too. Unfortunately, you need to play a fortress for about a year straight (real year, not game year!) until you finally reach the stage where a dwarf will get remotely close to dying of old age. Keeping them alive longer than a decade is a feat in itself.

Best thing I can think of to possibly accomplish this for the sake of making a dwarf die of old age is to turn off moods, invaders, temperature, and weather, and set popcap to 7, then just set a farm plot to constantly produce and let them drink from the river. Then leave the computer alone for about four days. Assuming they get past the rotting clothes phase they should survive just fine.

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 05:29:00 am »

The fatality rates from starvation, cave-ins, sparring, nobility demands, fey moods, megabeasts, goblins, elephants, carpi, mad dwarves, magma, aquifers, rapidly freezing water, tentacle monsters and flaming socks are too high to determine that.
iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 07:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning4:
<STRONG>Best thing I can think of to possibly accomplish this for the sake of making a dwarf die of old age is to turn off moods, invaders, temperature, and weather, and set popcap to 7, then just set a farm plot to constantly produce and let them drink from the river. Then leave the computer alone for about four days. Assuming they get past the rotting clothes phase they should survive just fine.</STRONG>

Problem is, though, that farms reset each in-game year.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 08:09:00 am »

Another problem would be that the game autopauses every time a trade caravan arrives
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 08:42:00 am »

Could just reduced the max age to something very small (like a year) and see if they die, if they do it's a good bet they well if they ever reach the original age.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 08:54:00 am »

There is actually a few post about such occurences like this one for example

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 08:53:00 pm »

DWARVES DON'T DIE OF OLD AGE!!!

...At least they shouldn't! there's HUNDREDS of ways to kill em!

(But yes, they can, if you can keep em alive that long.)