Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven time usage, how many times does a dwarf eat, dri  (Read 2905 times)

Mr.Northern

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarven time usage, how many times does a dwarf eat, dri
« on: December 14, 2007, 12:57:00 am »

In a continuing bid to optimize the efficiency of the ortress I was curious if anyone had ever taken the time to study how many times each year a dwarf will perform a certain activity.  I am interested in using the information to perform some basic frequency * distance traveled computations to figure out where best to position things in the fort.  This is great, easily summarized information for the Wiki, which doesn't currently seem to have anything to say on the subject.

I realize that there are many variables here, dwarf stats being perhaps the hardest one to account for, but I believe some base numbers for some of the common tasks might already be available (I think I recall reading somewhere how much food and drink an average dwarf uses a year, which should correspond to how many times they eat and drink each year).  

The activities I am interested in:
number of trips to bed
number of breaks
number of drinks
number of feedings
number of times going to work (assuming constant work)

Is this a complete list of activities that matter (or should "checking chest" be included, which it shouldn't be if that activity only occurs during a break or when no job is available)?  Barring any existing work on the subject I may have to lock up a dwarf in his room for a year and count, but thanks in advance for anything people can direct to me to on the subject.

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven time usage, how many times does a dwarf eat, dri
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 01:03:00 am »

First thing that comes to mind: A dwarf will perform non-work-related activities in direct proportion to how badly you need his skills.  Murphy's Law, sorta.

In a more serious vein: a non-injured dwarf, by my count, sleeps twice per year.  I haven't noticed (or cared to track carefully) how long each sleep lasts, whether each dwarf sleeps the same amount of time, whether or not interrupted sleep counts as a full sleep, etc.  The 2x per year figure does seem to be reliable, though (at least for my forts).

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:15:00 am »

If I remember my last hermit for correctly, he ate about once per month.  He drank about twice that often.
He probably slept once per season.

I remember that food from one mule would feed my dwarf for about one year and it comes to something like 11 mule tallow and meat roasts.

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Karlito ]

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 09:33:00 am »

I think personality traits and stats also influence sleep duration, break frequency etc.
I.e. a dwarf who "does not go out of his way to do more work than nescessary" will probably take breaks more often. And a dwarf with very high toughness will sleep less.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 11:17:00 am »

Sleeping is once per season - eating is about once a month, drinking about 3 times a month (rough guestimate on that one), and breaks depend on the personality (and happiness maybe?) of the dwarf.

Obviously this is based on nothing more than my own experiences, but ive been trying to pay attention to this for a while.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 11:30:00 am »

I have playtested figures for eating and drinking:  About 10 times/year and 20 times/year, respectively.  Note that these come from the 2D version - things may have changed, but I doubt it.

Sleeping I'm more uncertain of (never tested it explicitly).  About six times a year?  Certainly more than once per season.

Breaks I'm even more unsure of; very roughly one and a half or twice a year'd be my guess.

Dwarves will check chests whenever a change of jobs occurs, or whenever idle (best guess here).  They will party if a statue garden is available and they aren't kept busy 24/7.  They can also (if the economy is on) complain to Guild representatives.

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Fedor ]

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 09:01:00 pm »

Just a heads up, the Check Chest job will only be generated if there is a container (cabinet, coffer, etc...) installed in an unassigned room.  Thus, if you don't want dwarves Checking Chests, don't build any containers except in rooms and not until you've assigned those rooms to a dwarf.

mrshirt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 09:13:00 pm »

Is there an online source for this kind of information?  As far as I know there isn't any on the wiki, and it would be a great asset for theoretical discussions of the game.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 10:01:00 pm »

I noticed that dwarves who do more work (Bookkeeper, Miners, Engravers) seem to take more breaks, though I've also had woodworkers idle for months before suddenly deciding to take a break.  Breaks may be "earned" by the satisfied at work thought, even if the thought is very old.  May have to check on that, though, I'm just thinking of possibilities.
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 06:55:00 pm »

Playtesting report:

drink ~18 times/year
eat ~10 times/year
sleep ~7 times/year

Have not tested dwarves with differing attributes (such as active versus lazy).

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.