Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Resolved]Recommend a way to destroy a type of creature which is present?  (Read 709 times)

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I recently embarked in a savage area.  I'm quite fond of my new fort, except for the intense lag I'm experiencing.  It didn't start until a swarm of 122 "Giant Mosquito" (and one giant skunk) showed up on my map.  After some waiting, it appears they are not interested in my fort, and are only serving to slow my game speed.

I'd love to have a way to cause them all to die by editing the raws somehow.  I seem to recall increasing homeotemp above the number they can survive at would do this? That was an old version of the game though, so I don't know if it will still work.

Help is much appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:36:05 pm by Master Catfish »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile

Looking in the mosquito raws, they have a heart and brain... they're not NO_THOUGHT, so my guess would be removing brain would be enough to cause them to die instantly. Easiest way, probably.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Looking in the mosquito raws, they have a heart and brain... they're not NO_THOUGHT, so my guess would be removing brain would be enough to cause them to die instantly. Easiest way, probably.
make them [AQUTIC] (look at fish) so they drown out of water.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just tried what EmperorJon said to do, and it worked brilliantly.  It was actually really funny, too.  The huge cloud of mosquitoes simply died and fell a long way out of the sky, each one to burst into many, many pieces.  Now there's mosquito ichor and legs everywhere, but it's all good.  Thanks a bunch! 

Thank's for the idea too, Hugo. I'm sure yours would have worked just as well.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

There are plenty of funny ways you can edit a creature's raws to make them all die, though... I believe you can also edit the material their flesh is made of to make it combustable at room temperature, and watch them all spontaneously combust.  Or change their flesh to be made out of ice, and watch them all melt.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare