Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snail-Paced Worldgen?  (Read 1210 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Snail-Paced Worldgen?
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:51:45 am »

I've noticed that the new version's worldgen is terrislow in the new version.Has anyone had this kind of problem? Can it be solved by reducing the number of vampire curses, or somesuch?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Snail-Paced Worldgen?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:15:19 am »

Yes, I think that worldgen is really slow as well.  After it gets past, say, 200 years or so it almost freezes up.  Smaller worlds are slightly better than large ones, but after a certian point the worldgen process becomes exponentially slower so it really doesn't matter that much if it's a medium or large world.  I wish other people might describe their experiences with this here so we can decide if we need a bug report or not.

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:22:12 am »

For me, it doesn't seem to go any slower than normal on worldgen, only when it gets to about year 380 it seems to have any noticeable difference in speed on a med map
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

chronojiuj

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue Heaven milkshake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:26:12 am »

For me it'll go fast until around year 70, then it rapidly slows down and eventually crashes by year 300-400. This is on any world size, even pocket.
Older versions never did this to me. :(
Dwarf fortress makes you lose weight if you dig too deep and literally shake with anger when someone pulls the lever

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:26:36 am »

I've noticed that the new version's worldgen is terrislow in the new version.Has anyone had this kind of problem? Can it be solved by reducing the number of vampire curses, or somesuch?
Its known issue:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100680.msg2985343#msg2985343

Cannot be helped with all the items, people and events to track.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:05:15 pm »

Well if it's a bug, I am sure it will be fixed.

If it's not a bug, but a consequence of how the game works now, then they need to consider the practicality of what the game is doing here.  Either that, or re-implement the features with more efficient code.  It's just not working as is IMHO.

ST753M

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 12:25:19 pm »

I haven't noticed any change in the speed of my world gen.  I usually go with small worlds and <100 year histories, though.