Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caged Animals  (Read 1775 times)

SoloDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caged Animals
« on: December 12, 2007, 04:58:00 pm »

It sounds like from the wiki that caged animals will reproduce.  However, I have seen them give birth in a cage, but I am still not convinced that they will get pregnant in a cage.  Does anyone know for sure?
Thanks!

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: Caged Animals
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 05:00:00 pm »

Yes.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »

There was a reported bug in 23a in relation to the fact that caging certain animals was stopping their reproduction process entirely.

Whatever you do, keep us informed.  :)

I am on a hot streak... literally.

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 12:18:00 am »

In the old version, there was a nasty thing with dogs and cages or restraints. If ANY dog was ever put in a cage, or on a rope or chain, then ALL dogs from that point on stopped breeding. The only way to get them breeding again, was to first free all existing dogs, and then buy a dog in a cage from a trader and release that dog. If I remember right, Toady said he put that one in deliberately. Sort of a nasty easter egg.

I dont know if that is still in the new version or not, but I for one will not risk caging or chaining any of my dogs. Except for a few specimen animals kept in cages for a zoo, I always let all my animals run loose. It creates some lag, but is the best way I have found to find and stop thieves before they can get deep into my forts. With all those extra eyes running around loose, its a lot harder for thieves to get in undetected.

ho watches those that watch us???

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 04:37:00 am »

I have four dogs chained at my entrance. The rest are caged. They still breed.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 05:03:00 am »

Hmm.  From what I remember, far from placing a deliberately nasty easter egg, Toady consistently reported being unable to reproduce any caged/chained animal breeding bugs.

However, he did say that there were some population limits beyond which breeding would not occur.

Kill off half off your pop of any particular species, and see if they start breeding again.  When I ran into breeding problems, that worked for me.

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 06:19:00 am »

Chained dogs:

Every other dog (except the one just born, of course)

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Skanky ]